Trailer servicing?

Gingernags

Visit site
Do people get their trailers regularly professionally serviced and if so how often?

We got ours back in about April and it has a free service within 6 months (taking it today) but what about after that?

Its got a rot proof plastic/rubber covered floor and won't rot, but what else needs checking and when?

Total novice at this - first time I've ever had a trailer!

It only does local trips, max of 60 milers, and only once or twice a month, usually with just one nag in...

Advice very welcome!!!

flyingfeet

Visit site
If your floor is made of wood in any form then I'd get it checked at least annually.

Also if that's the rot proof Ifor chip board plastic covered floor, get it changed ASAP - they rot around the edge and then 2ft x 2ft sections drop out - and yes that severs both your horses hing legs if you are doing 50 mph.

Gingernags

Visit site
Rubber covered polyester floor which is rot and damp proof...
grin.gif

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Main areas that require attention are the brakes and wheel bearings. Hitch will also need greasing.
Poorly adjusted brakes can cuase serious problems under hard / emergency braking or when traveling down hill. Wheel bearings can seize if not adjusted / greased properly.
Neither are major jobs. Always did mine myself.

Chex

Visit site
Mine goes up the place we bought it from every year or 2, gets the brakes, floor, lights, hitch, electrics etc checked. Just for peace of mind really.

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
Used to have mine serviced annually by a local trailer dealer, never needed anything doing, used to cost about £100 and worth every penny for piece of mind. Apparently he said I would not have problems with my trailer as it was used so frequently, used to do about 1200 miles a year, none of the parts got a chance to lock up!

the watcher

Visit site
Mine ( witha wooden floor) is checked annually.

While on the subject , does anybody know if it is viable to change a wooden floor for a different material that is rot proof..before I go off to Bicester trailers and make a complete fool of myself by asking them

flyingfeet

Visit site
Ifor were doing the floors for £150 in all at one point

If you happen to have one with the composite laminate floor, you could make noises and get this reduced (they have a problem with them).