Trailer suggestions - bigger than an Ifor 510

Frumpoon

Visit site
Wondered what folks suggestions were for a trailer taller and wider than an Ifor 510/511, ideally not backward facing?

was wondering about the Richardons treble but as they've now gone out of business I thought parts might be harder to get

Or should I give up and look at a lorry instead?

applecart14

Visit site
attachment.php

This is my Rice Richardson trailer with 7ft 4" head height. I have a 17hh WB who fits a 6ft 9" rug and he fits in great but his ears do touch the roof when he stares at things! This photo was taken before leaving a showground and he had spotted some pet pigs I'd shown to him the week before, hence the stare!!

To be fair the longest journeys I do now are about 50 minutes, but he's usually got his head down eating his hay anyway.

Dad has converted the trailer so the partition is 3/4 v 1/4 and Bailey as the 3/4 section so he has plenty of leg room and Dad has also re carpeted both ramps and tongue and grooved hardwood and replaced the top floor. Its also been painted in our colour choice and then repainted twice more over the 15 years we've owned it.

Dad also designed the mirror on the front of the trailer so that I can look through my rear view mirror to check when my tow ball in under the hitch. At the front he's also built a box for a car battery and I use this in the winter so I can hitch up in the dark too!

You can still buy these trailers second hand, and this is a good website for second hand trailers: here is the link:http://www.usedhorsetrailers.co.uk/richardson-horse-trailers.htm

Last edited:

Frumpoon

Visit site
Yes all good points, to be fair I take one comfortably in an Ifor 510 with full width breech bars...but I want to take 2 now.....

spacefaer

Visit site
Rice Richardson do a version of the
Rice B60 - Beaufort 60 - has 7'6 headroom and a 5'11 internal width

I guess equitrek do trailers for larger horses;, but they're a whole different concept and price bracket!

Frumpoon

Visit site
Ah they do that's true, but there's no front ramp and it's not wide enough for my lot to stand sideways....do love the Ifor structure though

Bobbly

Visit site
Have a look at Wessex trailers, I have the Olympian treble, love it! Its a bit like the older version of Ifors, more agricultural in its build. Sometimes I stand my horse in it backwards when we are parked up at a show.

Last edited:

nuttychestnut

Visit site
I think they stand herringbone, hence the lack of front ramp.
The new ifor Williams looks tiny compared to it.
If that is to small, a lorry is the only way to go.

Frumpoon

Visit site
2 big wide 17handers, I can presently fit one or the other but not both comfortably, plus my other horse at 17.3 is not too comfy height wise

I'm renting a 510 at the mo so no major rush, just wondered if there was any brand I had not previously thought of

smellsofhorse

Visit site
I had a 17.2hh warm blood who traveled well in my hb510.
That was in his half of the trailer with no adjustments and with another large friend.

In those xl ifor Williams, yes they tralvel herringbone.
I wouldn't be confident of a vehicle towing 3 large horses but should be fine for 2.