Trailer test - how many lessons?

Charmin

Visit site
I'm very fortunate in that I already have a trailer and 4x4, however my mum has to chauffeur us around, which is no issue at the moment. However I'd quite like to pass my test anyway, so we could pop out to lessons etc.

How did everyone go about it? Roughly how many lessons did it take? Did you go out separately to practice as well?

WelshD

Visit site
My local place recommended 2x four hour lessons with the test at the end of the second one

Not sure if you are allowed to drive with L plates as it stands, worth checking out as if your mum is lovely and calm it may be worth seeing if she can teach you somewhere safe and quiet initially

Charmin

Visit site
Who drives when towing - you or Mum ?

My mum currently, so I'd like to take my test so I can have a go :)

Thank you for your replies everyone, much less than I thought! Suppose I already know how to drive, it's just learning how to do it with something on the back.

ROG

Visit site
My mum currently, so I'd like to take my test so I can have a go :)

Thank you for your replies everyone, much less than I thought! Suppose I already know how to drive, it's just learning how to do it with something on the back.

WHY is Mum driving when you can with her sitting besides you ?

ROG

Visit site
SUPERVISING A B+E LEARNER
In April 2010 new rules were introduced for those supervising certain learner drivers but they only affected those supervising VOCATIONAL categories such as C1 C1+E D1 & D1+E where the supervising driver had those categories given to them for free when they passed a pre 1997 car test.
They do not affect those with a pre 1997 B+E licence who wish to supervise a B+E learner.

All B licence holders have B+E provisional on the paper part of their licence and can tow an empty or loaded trailer on all roads including motorways.

The usual rules apply when a learner is driving -
The supervising driver must be aged over 21
The supervising driver must have held a B+E licence for at least 3 years
L plates must be fitted to the front of the vehicle and the rear of the trailer
Correct insurance for a B+E learner
The supervising driver does not need to be insured unless they are driving

More info on the test etc in post number 3000 of the HHO TOWING CLINIC thread - link below in signature

ROG

Visit site
Doing lots of practice as a learner with a friend or family member usually means you can get away with training and test in one day

Aleka81

Visit site
Doing lots of practice as a learner with a friend or family member usually means you can get away with training and test in one day

The guy I used only ever does this even if you have zero towing experience. His pass rate is something like 90%. He was brill and would recommend to anyone!