Trailer training- Is this expensive? Recommendations in Herts area

1928sky

Visit site
Just had a quote for 7 1/2 hours tuition over 3 days and test for £622, now to me this sounds extortionate and I am considering changing career to earn over £60 an hour! Any recommendations in herts, beds, essex area for trailer training please?

emilyw

Visit site
Sounds about right - we paid £450 for OH to have 1 and a half days training including the test on the 2nd day.

kit279

Visit site
If you've got your own trailer and tow vehicle, I'd get one lesson with a private instructor - ask for Adrian at http://www.cambridgedrivingcentre.co.uk/, I think it's about £30 an hour. That should show you what is needed for the test, all the manoeuvres etc and what you need to work on. Then I'd practice religiously with someone in the car who is old enough to not need a trailer test (you need L-plates). Then I'd have another 1-2 lessons with an instructor and then I'd do the test. That's what I did anyway!

wench

Visit site
In lincs mine cost £25 per hour with my car, and their trailer. The driving part is generally not really a problem, if you havent really reversed anything before, you may need hours of practise at reversing, the manover is very tight, and very hard.

1928sky

Visit site
Thanks everybody- I had better scrape my pennies together! I really didn't have any idea how much but had kind of gone on the fact that a normal driving lesson is £20-£25 an hour and considering extra expertise and bigger thirstier vehicle it would be somewhere around the £40/hour mark. Oh well. Thanks kit279 I do indeed have access to vehicle and trailer so shall definately look into that as my dad has been teaching me but we needed to know what the "correct" way was.

DiamondSR

Visit site
I paid £40ph including the use of the instructor's car and trailer, £60 an hour sounds a lot to me! The test is expensive though at £115 so that will bump the price up a lot if they are including that in the price.

I think when you go for the all inclusive courses you end up paying a bit more - maybe go for a 3 hour lesson first as this might be all you need, rather than committing to 7.5 hours from the outset.

Rocky715

Visit site
i paid £745 for two whole days of 9am - 4pm training and the use of the car and trailer on my test day. this cost also includes my test. it was with a company called Mk Driver Training!