Trailer tyres

furrycat

Visit site
Morning all, I've done a search but can't find exactly the answer I'm looking for. I've bought an ifor 505, I'm very happy with it but it's a 2006 and seems to be on its original tyres - so I'm going to buy new ones all round before my precious pony goes near it.

Ive examined the existing ones, the size is 165/13C they are 8ply and are GT Radial Maxmiler tyres. I wanted to replace them witht the same ones, however I can't seem to find them on the net. I'd prefer a mobile fitter as the thought of manoeuvring the trailer at a tyre place 😨

Some alternatives I've found are budget ones made by 'event', some by hankook and some others by maxxis. The prices range from £46 each to £68 each for the hankooks. All seem to have the correct load rating and I think are van tyres. Is it best to stay away from budget tyres? Or are they ok for a trailer?

If anyone has any knowledge or experience to share please help!

maisie06

Visit site
I'd stay away from budgets on a livestock trailer. Had mine supplied and fitted by Hometyre - fab service, came to the yard and fitted them, price was reasonable too at around £65 per tyre.

unicornystar

starbug02.wix.com
find a mobile fitter and ask for "weight loading" tyres. Definitely not budget or cheapy. They do a higher weight loading for all tyres and your tyre fitter is the best person to ask. Lots of mobile fitters around they are your best bet!!

Hanno Verian

Visit site
I replaced my spare for an IW 510 about three years ago, I went to the local IW dealer as it was part of a general refurb, it came in cheaper to buy new wheels with tyres fitted than change the tyre, you might want to ask the question from your local dealer

Beausmate

Visit site
GT Radials are considered cheap Chinese budget (on cars anyway) tyres. I have them on my Jeep and am perfectly happy with them. Can't say what the van tyres are like, as I haven't used them.

I've got crossplies on my trailer!

OWLIE185

Visit site
Horse Trailer tyres are different to car tyres as they are inflated to about 60 pounds per square inch + so you need to source proper trailer tyres as normal car tyres are not designed to take the weight.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I replaced my spare for an IW 510 about three years ago, I went to the local IW dealer as it was part of a general refurb, it came in cheaper to buy new wheels with tyres fitted than change the tyre, you might want to ask the question from your local dealer
That's handy info.

OP, I also need to replace my 2006 Ifor 510's tyres. Barlows have the wheel and tyre combo for £74.40 inc VAT.

http://www.barlowtrailers.co.uk/Onl...l_Assemblies/Wheel_and_Tyre_165R13C_8PR_P0841

outinthefens88

Visit site
From my tyre trade background - 165 R13C tyres should not be at all difficult to source, they are still a common and current size fitted to thousands of small plant trailers etc.

A quick phone call to my local tyre dealer just gave me two 'off the shelf options', both in group stock and could be fitted tomorrow...

The Maxmiler are still available from distributors. However and please don't take offence at this - if you buy cheap 'non fitted' tyres and then take them to your local tyre centre for fitting, you may get hit with an up to £10 charge each wheel for fitting, new valve and disposal of the scrap tyres.

ETS - van tyres are easy to tell apart as that is what the 'C' in the size means - 'Commercial'

Just check the load rating matches should be something like 92/94R on those...

Hope this helps.

furrycat

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Don't worry I know they have to be commercial tyres, I've checked the load ratings marked on the current ones to ensure I'm comparing like with like. The current ones are dated 2006 so must be the ones supplied on the trailer when new, it's amazing how people will use old tyres! The pressure in them should be 65psi per the label on the jockey door but they were all down to 30psi!! Definitely need replacing!

dornrose

Visit site
My local tyre place (where I have been known to take trailer) also do a mobile service so well worth asking your normal tyre place if they do a mobile service.

SuperH

Visit site
I don't think 2006 is particularly old for a tyre. Age does play a part but if the condition on them is good and they have been well maintained I don't see a problem. As for being under inflated have you blown them up and then seen if they still retain the same pressure after a few days? If not then there is a problem but if they are maintaining pressure and are in good condition then I wouldn't replace.

We are running a lot older tyres on some of our (agricultural) trailers that take a lot more weight.

Obviously if you want to change them and aren't happy with the tyres then do so I'm not trying to talk you out of it, it is nice to see someone who checks and takes an interest rather than just chucking a horse on board and going. I once saw someone arrive with only three wheels on their trailer, one had fallen off on their way and they hadn't noticed!

popsdosh

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Don't worry I know they have to be commercial tyres, I've checked the load ratings marked on the current ones to ensure I'm comparing like with like. The current ones are dated 2006 so must be the ones supplied on the trailer when new, it's amazing how people will use old tyres! The pressure in them should be 65psi per the label on the jockey door but they were all down to 30psi!! Definitely need replacing!

If there is no cracking and they have tread why do you need to replace them? Age is immaterial as long as there is no other obvious damage. Tyres will lose pressure with time it is not a sign they need replacing.

OWLIE185

Visit site
It is the ultra violet light that causes tyres to deteriorate so if the vehicles tyres are exposed to natural daylight this is what causes the rubber to eventually perish.

Annagain

Visit site
I don't think 2006 is particularly old for a tyre. Age does play a part but if the condition on them is good and they have been well maintained I don't see a problem. As for being under inflated have you blown them up and then seen if they still retain the same pressure after a few days? If not then there is a problem but if they are maintaining pressure and are in good condition then I wouldn't replace.

We are running a lot older tyres on some of our (agricultural) trailers that take a lot more weight.

Obviously if you want to change them and aren't happy with the tyres then do so I'm not trying to talk you out of it, it is nice to see someone who checks and takes an interest rather than just chucking a horse on board and going. I once saw someone arrive with only three wheels on their trailer, one had fallen off on their way and they hadn't noticed!

When I replaced my trailer tyres, I was told that the safe lifespan of a tyre is about 7 years. This is why they all have a date code, so you know how old they are. I replaced them at about 8 years and although they weren't particularly worn they were starting to show small cracks. I knew they needed replacing so this wasn't someone trying to get a sale.

ETA - them being down to 30 isn't a sign they need replacing, just pumping up. I would be changing them though.

popsdosh

Visit site
It is the ultra violet light that causes tyres to deteriorate so if the vehicles tyres are exposed to natural daylight this is what causes the rubber to eventually perish.

Hence why I said if there is no cracking!!!! lol.. We have tyres on machines that are 20 yrs old and ok and some 2 yo are shot. Those particular tyres are not prone to premature cracking from experience but will soon show shoulder damage if used under inflated.

furrycat

Visit site
Thanks for the replies :) the tyres are perished, which is why I'm replacing them. It is also very bad for tyres to be seriously under inflated and as the trailer has been sitting there it can cause deformities that cannot be easily seen but are dangerous. I feel happier replacing them all to be honest.