Trailers again... sorry

Louby

Visit site
Posted on here a while ago about buying a new trailer and asking your reccomendations. Im not bothered if I have a second hand one as really dont want to spend more than £3000 although if I wait a bit longer I could have a new one. I dont want an Ifor as Ive just sold one and you dont seem to see many other make 2nd hand for sale.
Problem is my horse has really only travelled in a wagon and doesnt seem keen at all in a trailer, very very nervous so Im really worried we will spend a lot on a good one and end up with him only ever settling in a wagon. Wagon isnt an option.
Would you buy a really cheap one and play around over the winter with the intention of replacing it if all goes well or just go for a good one. Im so paranoid about floors that Im thinking by the time Ive bought an old one, had the floor checked or renewed and serviced it, it may be a false economy. Are there any obvious things to look out for safety wise apart from the floor and tyres.

Natalie_H

Visit site
Do you know anyone who has a different trailer that you could try him in? If you remember, when we went to buy our bateson, they said that they would hire one to us for a day for free to see how we & horses coped with it? I know it is only a day, but could be a cheaper option? Trailers hold their value quite well, but I would not be qualified to inspect one I must admit!

Louby

Visit site
Hiya, I know what you mean, I'd end up with one that had something seriously wrong with it.
I was hoping to try someones Equi trek but they havent been to our yard for about 6 weeks now and apart from her everyone I know has an Ifor. I spoke to a local dealership today who actually reccomended buying an old trailer first which I thought was really nice of them cos they could have talked me into a new one but also said to get it checked out first, which is pretty hard saying to the seller when you are paying peanuts for one. A bit different when you pay a decent amount. I just wish I lived near point2point trailers as they do a try before you buy service. Nothing like that near me.

Natalie_H

Visit site
Well, if you were nearer you'd be welcome to try mine!! I know what you mean about the Ifors though - 99% of trailers I see are Ifors! Good luck! Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!
smile.gif

icestationzebra

Visit site
An old rattly (sp?) trailer may well put your horse off travelling if he is already wary of trailers. Not ideal to go out and buy a brand new one but they are bright, light and airy and you know it is safe. You could always sell it if after doing all your homework you horse still won't travel in it....they hold their value well.

Gingernags

Visit site
We have a neurotic TB that hates all trailers, especially Ifors, takes 2+ hours and a pressure halter to load her... she also hates travel forward lorries but will only tolerate herringbone lorries, awkward bag!

But we bought a Cheval Liberte 2003XL which is light, takes 2 x 17.2, has pullman suspension (very smooth ride) and the TB walks straight in it every time!

No idea why but she is fine with it whereas all other trailers are the devils work... odd horse!

Paid £3400 brand spanking new. Oh and it has a totally sealed polyester floor with sealed rubber over the top so pee can't get through and rot anything...

We love it!

Louby

Visit site
Thanks never thought of that.
He shook just stood in it and after trying to run out backwards numerous times and banging his head, he tried to make a dash for the Jockey door, then shot out of the front ramp as it was lowered leaving me in the trailer, well sort of squashed in the doorway!! We did practice over a good few weeks building up to finally getting the ramp up, thats when he freaked. To be honest I should have bought the 510 as at 16.1 ish he is borderline. Took the partition out and had the single breast bars.
Was thinking today and Im wondering if its the new Ali floor as he has travelled a couple of times as a 4 yr old in my old Ifor and was ok. About a year ago we were hacking out and he sunk to his belly in an area that had been 'repaired' on the bridleway and has been nervous of bad ground since. Im wondering if the give in the Ali floor makes him feel unsafe???

Louby

Visit site
Ive been thinking about them but not seen one apart from pictures. I did see the Robinsons Requisite trailer and thought it looked really flimsy and imagined the Cheval being similar. Are they quite well made?

Louby

Visit site
Forgot to add he goes in no problems, its once hes in he stresses even if the doors are open. You know I think the floor may have something to do with it.

Just had a look at the xl model on chevals website and it looks much better than the other models I'd seen. How big is your horse please

Gingernags

Visit site
Mine is only 15hh, the TB (my sisters) is 15.2 - and there is loads of room, the pair of them rattle around almost!

Its only about 850kilos and is mainly fibreglass - but its really easy to manage on your own and has some nifty little tricks - the ramp can open like a door if you wanted to fit say a pallet of feed in, the jockey wheel tucks up so you never wreck it, it has breast bars you can drop from the outside if there was a problem with a horse getting over them.

The breast and rear bars have 2 height fittings and 3 length fittings to cope with different size horses and there is a head grill so they can't bite each other!

Asti loves it... her trailer really, not for sharing!

Photo-0146_000.jpg

Louby

Visit site
It looks really nice, sorry to compare it with the requisite, it looks much better than that. Oooops, sorry if anyones got one!!! My boys 16.1/ 16.2 but will travel on his own with a single breast bar. Just been looking at them and found an as new one for £2500 but the add is from August. May email her and see as its local.
Thanks for the piccy.

Gingernags

Visit site
They also do a mare and foal version as well as a single. The mare and foal I guess is like a 3/4 trailer, has been quite popular.

I got mine serviced last week so I was having a good chat to the lady who sold us it. They also do a massive one thats stalled for 4 ponies or 3 horses herringbone with a tack room... I want! But its 6k!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Unless you or someone you know is very handy & able to do the necessary repairs & servicing on an old trailer don't bother, it will be a false economy. By the time you've paid for materials & for someone to refit a floor, rewire electrics etc it would have been far cheapoer to buy newer.

Give consideration to a Bateson Deauville, they tow well, give a smooth ride, are really airy & light inside & have a 7'03" headroom & really hold their value. This is the time of year to buy a trailer, they are sold a bit cheaper than in the spring. Aim for one about 3-4 years old & that way if it doesn't work out with your horse you can sell & will most likely at least get your money back. My lad is 16h2" & had only ever travelled in a lorry before I had him. He now loves the trailer, straight up the ramp, no messing.
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

K9Wendy

Visit site
Nothing wrong with the requisite ones only snobbery LOL.. They are in fact rebadged Cheval Liberte trailers, made in France to a very high spec. Only look different because they are European but are very well made. We have the 2003 the one slightly smaller than Coppertop. As she says they tow a dream, we fit two 16.2hh in ours at times, though bought for one 15.2hh. Horses travel VERY well..

DSC_0036.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

Have a look http://www.cheval-liberte.co.uk/products_trailers_2002xl_2003.htm

icestationzebra

Visit site
Despite being the most popular trailers on the market Ifors are notorious for rattles and shakes - they have a sprung suspension which literally bounces - you will know if you have ever towed one empty. A lot of horses don't mind a bit, but some really do not like the feel. I purposely went for a trailer with a pullman suspension which gives a very quiet and smooth ride. If you can load the horse and take him for short quiet trips in one of these it may well allay his fear of the ground moving around beneath him.

Gingernags

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

DSC_0041.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

A friend was using someone's Sluis trailer - far more expensive and you'd be hard put to find the difference in that and your pic here. They are VERY similar down to the canvas back door cover etc.

I also have a friend with a Bockmann - again more expensive but its no better than my 2003XL that I can tell.

The Pullman suspension really is good, I hardly notice the trailer and horse are hooked up! Really easy to tow! And living round here, believe me its done some hill work!

archoak

Visit site
Our mare fell in our Ifor and had to be stitched at the side of the road, she travelled perfectly well in a Rice and now we have a lorry and we don't hear a peep from her. The Ifor rattled and bounced all over the place and she just couldn't keep her balance especially on corners
frown.gif

SilverSkye

Visit site
Another cheval liberte convert.... i had an ifor 505 and although horse travelled at 16 hh and a reasonable build had to keep her head down and was tight and she was always apprehensive to load into it, only sold it as bought a lorry which she loaded into great, stopped competing as much and a lorry was an expensive luxury so sold it and gone back to a trailer have got the 2003xl the same as copper tops in grey with tack storage on the door and i paid £3000 for it as had been used for 6 weeks hire and i love it horse trvels great had a friends 16.2 in there no problems and partition hinges way back so no chance of banging hips on the way out, defiantely wouldnt go back to the ifor now!

Louby

Visit site
Thanks everyone. Wasnt having a pop at the requisites honestly... am I forgiven? Pleeaase
Would have loved a Bateson but I really want seperate back top doors so I can shut the one on the traffic side. My boy really is a wimp! Really fancy having a look at the Cheval, need to find a local dealer now.
Also everything 2nd hand seems to be an Ifor or very very old Rice trailers.