Trailers or Lorries - which is cheaper to run/insure

MarthaRodman1

www.photobucket.com
Hi there
Wonder if anyone out there can help. At the moment I have the use of a small lorry, it's an Ifor Williams box on a transit (if that makes sense) takes max of 2 horses, and with just 1 horse you can travel them in the middle.

Would like to soon get a trailer so I'm independent and can come and go as I please.

Anyone know roughly the cost of insuring a trailer? how much for general up keep? servicing etc. Is it best to insure trailer through my 4x4 insurance or through horse insurance (NFU)

Answers on a postcard please.....
Thank you!

tigers_eye

Visit site
I don't know exactly how much trailer insurance is but it's got to be cheaper than road tax, MOT testing/plating, insuring a lorry, unless you need to VERY substantially upgrade your car!

Alibear

Visit site
Trailer is always cheepr to run than a lorry but if you add the costs of running the 4x4 to tow it with into the equation then things can turn around!

However since I need my 4x4 to tow thigns other than my horse I don't have to count it.

My trailer has cost me £500 over the past 9 years and that includes a new floor and matts
grin.gif

tigers_eye

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
My trailer has cost me £500 over the past 9 years and that includes a new floor and matts

[/ QUOTE ]

Whereas I was unsurprised when I got a phone call 5 mins ago telling me my lorry would be at least £700 to get through the MOT, and that's before they've looked at the floor which I also want checked...

miller

Visit site
Depends if you need to use towing vehicle as your main car and how many miles you do - in my circumstances would cost a bomb for trailer and 4x4 as would need huge 4x4 (2 x 16.3's) and I do 25k miles a year - fuel would be exhorbitant.

Lorry costs me £150 to insure and yes does 12mpg on diesel (old Bedford) but we only go around 60 miles round trip 1 or 2 times a month.

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Lorrys are cheaper to tax than a car.
Insurance is about £200 fully comp

Do you need to take a test to tow?

[/ QUOTE ]

My lorry is the same price to tax as my car
crazy.gif

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
If you already run and insure a 4x4 then a trailer will be far cheaper. Costs me £500 a year to insure my lorry, not yet had to put it through its plate but cost me £100 last week as had a fault on alternator. I used to get my trailer service annually and that cost around the £100 mark, never needed anything doing as was used regularly so the parts did not cease but always had it checked for my own piece of mind. A trailer also costs less to purchase.

Rambo

Visit site
My lorry has just cost the best part of GBP1200 to put through it's annual service and MOT (needed a new exhaust and a few other bit apparently !) It will also cost GBP165 to tax, and c.GBP300 to insure. You could buy a trailer for that money lol!

acolvine

Visit site
My horses are insured with SEIB so i insured my trailer through them as well. Was approx £35 a month plus £70 a year for breakdown.
Just be aware if you cancel your policy then breakdown is cancelled as well and you don't get a refund.
About £100 to service trailer but mine was from new so nothing much needed done to it.

Ive now sold the trailer & 4x4 and opting for the lorry......

Louby

Visit site
My insurance for an 18mth old Ifor was about £8 per month. That was with NFU but it was added to my horse insurance.