Trainers Championship

Clodagh

Visit site
Well it is going to the wire! How exciting.
Paul Nicholls was on a roll today on C4 (just feeding dogs then back to RUK for the last few).
Who do you think will win? I would hate it to go to Ireland.

Visit site
I was rooting for Nichols in the National because it would have laid it to bed. Then I was rooting for Mullins in the Scottish to seal it. Basically so the pair of them didn't come and steal all.of Perth's prizes with their 10th string horses so the rest of us would have a chance next week!

But now with Nichols, Mullins, Twiston-Davies and Elliot all sending horses to Perth we are Screwed! Yes with a capital S lol

Clodagh

Visit site
Bah Fiona! You are from the wrong side of the sea. ;-)
I don't know by how much he is now in front, the website is not up to date.

Visit site
Nichols is up by just over £33k. Neither have many entries on the last day of Perth and a decent handful over the previous 2 days. I am guessing they are both gunning for the big races on Saturday at Sandown.

Alec Swan

Visit site
How sporting we are, wishing that one trainer will win, but only because we would REALLY hate it if another were to win! Mind you, I'm no better!! :D

I wouldn't deny anyone success, but when Mullins came over to Cheltenham with 64 horses, what earthly chance have the smaller establishments got? It's such a shame that success breeds success and that without a name and a reputation, some of the smaller and equally competent trainers don't have the quality of horses offered to them that the big boys get. It's the way of the world, I suppose.

Alec.

Fiona

Visit site
Bah Fiona! You are from the wrong side of the sea. ;-)
I don't know by how much he is now in front, the website is not up to date.

lol clodagh... I'd cheer an English trainer too if it were to beat pn :)

Very true Alec, but realistically a smaller trainer is v unlikely to win it aren't they, and there seem to be lots of new young trainers winning big races which is great for the sport :)

Fiona

AdorableAlice

Visit site
lol clodagh... I'd cheer an English trainer too if it were to beat pn :)

Very true Alec, but realistically a smaller trainer is v unlikely to win it aren't they, and there seem to be lots of new young trainers winning big races which is great for the sport :)

Fiona

And me, can't bear the arrogant git. I would like to see a cap on numbers that can be trained by one trainer. Racing would be far more fair and interesting if the horses were spread out more. Obviously standards must be maintained. There is no way one man can manage a yard of 100 plus horses. It is the unsung staff that train those horses for someone else to take the credit for.

Of course it will never happen and owners can place their horses where they want, but the monopoly that Mullins and Nicholls have is boring. I love seeing the younger trainers have a good day.

Clodagh

Visit site
I see Willie Mullins has a horse entered at Taunton where PN has horses entered, that looks a bit personal to me and is hardly sporting.

Do you remember the PN v Martin Pipe battles? Horses were running twice a week in some cases, was true poor sportsmanship at its very worst.

Visit site
Just the glory of winning. If you think that Mullins has won over £2million on British turf you then need to add on what he has won in Ireland to give his seasons total. Scary numbers!

Pipe vs Nichols came down to the final race at Sandown one year. It was down to pounds and pence. There were 10 runners in the race - 5 from each trainer. Who ever got the most place money won. Pipe brought home the winner and another 3 in the money thus got the championship.

That would have been a good race for some small trainer to spoil the party at lol!

ETA: Mullins has won over €2million in Ireland alone too so bringing his total to over £4million ...

Last edited:

Dobiegirl

Visit site
I remember the Pipe v Nicholls farce and how Martin Pipe was flying horses all over the country, personally I would love to see someone like Colin Tizzard win or Dan Skelton.

Its frightening the calibre of horses WM has, is it because he has owners with deep pockets or is he doing something that someone else isnt doing.

Alec Swan

Visit site
……..

Its frightening the calibre of horses WM has, is it because he has owners with deep pockets or is he doing something that someone else isnt doing.

Success breeds Success and it tends to be as a snowball rolling down a hillside. Every now and then there's a blip, the trainer (think Sir Henry here), falls out of favour and the rug's pulled from under them.

It's often to do with egos and following on from the Nichols/Stewart fall out, as soon as a trainer slips off the radar, even by an inch, those owners desperate to succeed will be looking elsewhere. Racing's a fickle creature!

Alec.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
To a certain extent, it's a shame the Champion Trainer isn't limited to the British Isles rather than have 'an invader' come and plunder the richest races. You don't see Nicholls and Co., competing for the Irish Trainers Championship even if they had the ammunition that WM has.

BTW, looks like Kashgui (sp) will be having NH runners too if talks with Mullins and Rich bear fruit!

Last edited:

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Success breeds Success and it tends to be as a snowball rolling down a hillside. Every now and then there's a blip, the trainer (think Sir Henry here), falls out of favour and the rug's pulled from under them.

It's often to do with egos and following on from the Nichols/Stewart fall out, as soon as a trainer slips off the radar, even by an inch, those owners desperate to succeed will be looking elsewhere. Racing's a fickle creature!

Alec.

Paul Nicholls hasnt fallen out with Andy Stewart, I think you mean Clive Smith.

Clodagh

Visit site
Dan Skelton has done well this year, and will do even better next. apparently though he won't train for owners with retained jockeys, so no Isaac Meneer (spell?) or McManus horses will be off to him.
I agree that the Irish shouldn't be able to contest 'our' competiiton, although you can't blame them for doing so when they can.
Philip Hobbs on the ML said that it was Mullins' buying policy, he said there is no point waiting until the horse has won its race, by the time it has pulled up Mullins' agents have already bought it - or words to that effect. Anyone with enough money could do that.

Mariposa

Visit site
I'm rooting for PN! Nothing against Willie Mullins and his stable of amazing horses, but I do get a little bored when he wins everything.....

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Lol AA!

He does seem to give off the feeling he's a bit more ruthless/greedy now than he used to be but TBF to him, he did lose at least three stars in very quick succession who used to bring home the bacon; it must be hard to go back to mostly young horses and build up again.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Lol AA!

He does seem to give off the feeling he's a bit more ruthless/greedy now than he used to be but TBF to him, he did lose at least three stars in very quick succession who used to bring home the bacon; it must be hard to go back to mostly young horses and build up again.

I saw him being rude at a small meeting a few years ago, what you see on C4 and the real thing is different.

zaminda

Visit site
I would like to see the championship being done on winners, not prize money. It is just as hard to train a small winner as a big one. Most of the trainers are very different in public, although I've been told PN is pretty good to work for. PN also doesn't have the numbers WM does.