Training Aids

How much does it cost you to get it through the MoT Test/Plating Test?

• Total voters

Loupride

s25.photobucket.com
I lunge P in de gogue
grin.gif

Alibear

Visit site
Yes but you missed the main one off

lunge in side reins

also occasionally use a pessoa and horrors I have used draw reins in the past on previous horses

sallyf

Visit site

Both of our stallions get lunged in a pessoa , fab piece of kit.
Especially for keeping backs right and working correctly

Nikiolola

Visit site
Zilch! Not a fan of lunging as both me and the horse get bored quickly. Ridden training aids are asking for trouble imo. I want to know how to ride my horse properly, without training aids.

I_A_P

Visit site
i have been using a de gogue on the lunge and for some ridden schooling now that her flatwork is beginning to get there, mainly so it helps her build soem muscles where she hasnt had them but mostly to encourage her to stretch foward
smile.gif

Greyhound

Visit site
If I was to lunge I would probably use side reins, however I mainly get on and ride.

The yard I am at, who are a very experienced bunch, favour the Abbott Davies and Draw Reins.

GH

ru-fi-do

Visit site
I sometimes lunge in a pessoa, should try and do it more often really my friend lunges her horse twice weeky in her and it has made a huge difference.
Didn't like chambon with my current horse as made her fall more onto the forehand.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I use a pessoa, side reins and will also use draw reins when my horse is being appalling on the flat. I am not adverse to using them.

Tia

Visit site
Funnily enough the best training aids I have found.......are legs!!
laugh.gif

I don't use any artificial training aids on any of mine. I hate lunging and as most of mine are young horses, I very rarely do it however I do use my round pen from time to time to free-school.

TGM

Visit site
I've never used any of the training aids you've listed, although I have lunged in side reins. I can see that some of the aids may be useful with a horse that has incorrectly schooled and developed the wrong muscles, but personally haven't been in a situation where I've needed to use them myself.

I went to a lecture/demo the other day where I heard a lovely quote:

"To use gadgets correctly you need good hands, but if you have good hands you probably won't need to use gadgets anyway!"

lornaA

Visit site
I lunge in side reins and sometimes ride in draw reins. You really have to use them properly and ride the horse forward or they won't do any good. No point hauling the head in if the engine ain't working.

mitchellk

Visit site
depends on the horse but as standard if any of ours are lunged we use side reins (occasionally crossed), pessoas are sometimes useful too. Not keen on draw reins esp in inexperienced hands. Have also used bungees

VikkiBP

Visit site
Don't believe in them, but then I've never encountered such a massive problem that really made me want to use them, although something to stop a 16 hand 2 year old trakehner colt walking 200 yards on his hind legs may have tempted me hehehehe. There are no short cuts nor quick fixes. Sometimes you just have to be a bit creative, but I would only look at them as a last resort, i've seen them used unwittingly quite cruelly and it kinda puts me off
smile.gif

CJ1

Visit site
theres too many to choose from and they all come at a cost (mainly in £ signs!)

Im trying the longing lining technique first and maybe then a de gogue.