Training: Do you tell/ask/check?

TarrSteps

Visit site
A propos of the young horse mounting thread and various real life conversations. . .if you send a horse for training/get a trainer in do you discuss the fine details of what you will need it to do in your specific situation? Or do you just trust the trainer to do what they do? If you have a 'special need', such as being able to get on from a gate or cross a major road, do you specify?

Lolo

Visit site
When Bee went to boot camp, it was with the general aim of "try to work out why she was mental and how to deal with this". Al went up once or twice a week for a lesson with the lady, on Bee, so she could learn how to cope with her at the same time. I think this was the most effective method of trying to solve the Bee problem (which turned out to be unsolvable).

Looking back, any time Reg has gone to someone for training (twice) it's been with Al so she could learn too, and in that time Al has been the person doing the majority of the riding with the person getting on to get the feel and then feeding that back within the same session... These times the situation again was very specific and the person knew them both well and what the problems were.

Currently, Al has one young horse in. Right now, the owner just wants him to see the world a bit. Later this will change and get more specific (event him/ sell him/ other!) but Al's been given a brief pretty much.

SuperH

Visit site
If I was to send a horse away for training then yes, I would be clear about what I wished to do with the horse and what I expected them to do with the horse while they had it.

I sent mine on holiday livery (with schooling) while I visited family and we had a meeting beforehand about what I would like them to do with her.

soulfull

Visit site
Even in weekly lessons I am always very specific what I want to work on! Occasionally we hit a problem before we get to what I want to work on and my trainer will say 'I know you wanted to work on X but I really feel Y needs attention today'

Which is fine with me as it is usually obvious

So yes I would always specify what I want doing

twiggy2

Visit site
i do and have specified but my friend that backed my mare asked anyway and i would expect any trainer to ask, it is what i do if i take something in as livery or for groundwork, or even if i look after someones animal whilst they are away

Gamebird

Visit site
The only time I've sent a horse away for training it was a very specific situation - I had a 4yo who didn't really understand about canter strike-offs, it was winter and we didn't have a school - the only place to canter was on a hack. I could hire a school but realistically (logistically) only once a week or so which wasn't going to be an answer.

The plan was for the horse to go away for a fortnight to be ridden at least once daily with me popping in every 2 or 3 days to watch/ride. Unfortunately the horse colicked big time after about 5 days so I had to bring it home for intensive treatment so the plan never really came to fruition and I taught the horse what it needed to know in the spring.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
We discussed the problem a lot, and I was there when she was working with the pony and we cracked it together. I don't think I have any "special" requirements, but then I didn't think mounting a youngster was particularly special...

paddy

Visit site
I'm lucky in that my OH backs ours. But yes, we discuss what I need and my needs are fairly specific. Due to a spinal defect, my horses HAVE to stand at the mounting block for me to get on board. I don't mind them walking off once I'm on, but they have to stand for me to get there. OH is fully briefed (and I can shout at him if he gets it wrong :) ). When I'm helping him back/ school something, we'll always have a discussion about what is going to happen and what needs to be done if x, y or z results. I'm a great fan of communication (but then I am a lawyer!).

An interesting follow on question, is whether you specify exactly what you need a horse to do when you instruct your vet to do a pre-purchase vetting....

JGC

Visit site
Yes, I am explicit. My youngest is away in training cause I lost my nerve and she was ill for all of last year. I have been very clear about why she's there - I'm sure they can get her to a high level in dressage, which is all well and good, but if I can't get on her, hack her out or take her to comps then she won't be coming home again.