Training - Driving Cob

Lacuna

Visit site
I've started longlining the coblet who has taken to it like he's been doing it all his life. Happy to go round the village at any pace, could do with a bit more patience standing at junctions but nothing silly.

My working theory is he was a gypsy/traveller horse before being dumped in a field and going through Blue Cross, and I feel like he'd make a good driving chap.

However, I am a complete novice with driving (don't know anything about it really) and would not want to start him off in the wrong way. Can anyone recommend somewhere to potentially send him to for training (and me too)? Would have to be Oxfordshire or surrounding counties. I've been watching some of Barry Hook's videos online who seems a good trainer but any other thoughts would be gratefully received.

scruffyponies

Visit site
Barry is local to me and fantastic. We see him out and about quite regularly. I think he has a long waiting list though.
I'd be very happy for you to come out with me to get a bit of experience.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Please don't use Barry hook. He returned a pony absolutely ruined. The scarring is so bad round his shoulders that he is unlikely to drive again. I can give you more details and link you to the photos if needs be.

I would recommend kerry copas and John Cornell. They are bicester. They did an out stand job with Bobbie and have since had 2 friends horses. 1 was 19 and came home to his complete novice owner and now they are out driving most weekends having a whale of a time. The other is a little Spanish horse who was just sat on and came home riding and driving in 5 weeks