'training plan' for Pessoa?

LauraBR

Visit site
I have really got my arse in gear this week and given my horse a few minutes in his Pessoa before work each morning to help strengthen his back (back has been checked btw and it's fine) and help develop his muscles a little- he's quite hollow when you ride him and totally lazy when it comes to flatwork so I am trying to give him a bit more strength to make working easier for him!

Currently I'm warming him up without it attached, then using it for literally just a couple of minutes on each rein walk/trot on the 'long and low' setting. And that is it, each morning before he gets turned out.

Amazing the difference just a few minutes is making... this morning he was really getting the hang of it, stretching right down and really working over his back.

SO... now I'd like to progress gradually and carry on building his strength but I'm aware of how much hard work the pessoa can be so don't want to do too much too soon?

Has anyone got a kind of training plan for using the Pessoa? Can't find a thing googling... feel as though I need some guidance- don't want to overdo it but want to get somewhere with it too!
grin.gif

UKa

community.webshots.com
Oh, I am interested in what you are doing as it seems to make such a difference but how much time do you spend exercising him each morning (says the one who usually just has time for stable duties before work)? Sorry cant be of much help for training plan ...

jennystreek

Visit site
I wish i could use it every day, but for some reason it seems to take me FOREVER to get mare tacked up with all the gear....usually takes me about 5 mins to just get all the ropes in order!!! then got to take reins off bridle, boots on etc etc...im so slow sometimes!!

I didnt realise that you could use it with different settings....but really curious to look for some pictures now

I like to lunge with it 2 - 3 times a week, usually 10 mins on each rein

LauraBR

Visit site
The 'settings' (maybe not right word?) are just where you clip the ropes that attach to the bit- so under girth for long and low and up the top of the roller for full on high neck carriage dressage stuff.

I am dead quick at getting it on and off now mainly because I have old spare bridle (no noseband, just the bare basics so can be whipped on and off in a flash) and he doesn't need boots... I WISH he tracked up enough to need them! Maybe we'll get there eventually lol!

jennystreek

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The 'settings' (maybe not right word?) are just where you clip the ropes that attach to the bit- so under girth for long and low and up the top of the roller for full on high neck carriage dressage stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm....trying to picture this in my head, but have visions of her treading on the ropes if they go through her legs. So do you just pass through the bit and then clip under legs? think i need a picture!!!

LauraBR

Visit site
So you clip the clip with the pulley onto the bit, take the ends and clip under girth between front legs...

Think I might have pic of Fal in it on my photobucket *goes to look*

jennystreek

Visit site
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

thank you for the piccie - i think i may try that out tommorow with both of them!! my gelding hasnt been going that great on the pessoa, but its probably because i have had it on the "dressage" setting and not the "long and low"

Feel very pleased now that i have learnt something new
laugh.gif

Bert&Maud

Visit site
From what I can remember about the blurb when I got my "Pessoa" (Copy!!) the dressage setting (high) is considered quite advanced and best for really well established horses. They do not recommend that you do any canter work with it on the long and low setting. My trainer said that she had found the best way to start canter work with it was to leave the inside rein on the low setting and put the outside rein to the middle (girth) setting. I tried this and it works very well, gave support to the outside rein but he couldn't lean on the inside.

melv1lle

sams-progress.blogspot.com
I got my Pessoa earlier this year and have been using it religously every week (I love the thing
laugh.gif
). I always have my horse in the "long and low" setting i.e. the clips are attached between his front legs and the instructions I have said it was fine to canter in this setting. In fact I think it says something about it being good for their balance or something (haven't read the instructions in a while).

viola

aspireequestrian.wordpress.com
Quite a few people on here seem to be great funs of Pessoa system...I used it on a show jumping yard for a while. It worked well with some horses and not so well with others. I wonder: has any of you noticed (or am I just being too detailed) that every time the horse pushes from his hindlegs the bit jabs his mouth?? I found it rather discouraging...

Training Plan...hmmm. don't remember any as such but we lunged without pressure for the first week, then worked slowly towards the lowest set (a nose almost touching the ground). All in a very forward going trot. After some time (a few months) they were worked up into higer sets. We also lunged some horses that were driven in pairs and they were lunged on quite a high set.

I wish I paid more attention then but I just wanted to ride in my teens and lunging was a nuisance to be done with as soon as possible
smirk.gif
Have an opposite opinion now but haven't found any decent training plan either!

BethH

Visit site
Personally wouldn't bother with a pessoa my horse hated it - learn to use long reins much cheaper, easier and kinder, so much easier to communicate with your ned!

Law

Visit site
I was going to ask the same thing earlier this week on behalf of a friend. I ended up ordering a book that covers training aids and includes the Pessoa. It should arrive tomorrow so I can tell you what it says then.

LauraBR

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Personally wouldn't bother with a pessoa my horse hated it - learn to use long reins much cheaper, easier and kinder, so much easier to communicate with your ned!

[/ QUOTE ]

How is it kinder?
confused.gif

I am genuinely amazed at the fantastic results I have had with the pessoa, not sure how I could achieve them long reining? Isn't the action different?
smile.gif

LauraBR

Visit site
Be interested to hear what it says! I have kind of invented my own plan now but I can't be going too far wrong as he is working better and better every day both in the pessoa and ridden, massive difference.
grin.gif