Training The Event Horse - Sheila Wilcox

Smitty

Visit site
Would anybody like my copy before I take it to charity shop? Happy to post at cost which I guess would be £2.90 or collection welcome.

Smitty

Visit site
Well yes, but I no longer ride and want a good home for it!

I remember watching a programme on tv some 40 years ago about Sheila and her training methods when the book came out and ordered the book on the back of it. I can still recollect the excitement when WH Smiths rang me to say it had arrived.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Mm, what happened to mine? For years it was the only one that dealt with training eventers. I remember that programme on TV too, and of course Mary King trained with Sheila Wilcox.

Smitty

Visit site
Mm, what happened to mine? For years it was the only one that dealt with training eventers. I remember that programme on TV too, and of course Mary King trained with Sheila Wilcox.

Goodness, and I thought I was imagining it or going mad! There were only the 3 tv channels at the time as well. I also seem to remember Princess Anne being involved riding a darkish bay long and low in trot circles in a field - not that many arenas around then!! Now what did I eat yesterday ... :)

Orangehorse

Visit site
I think the girl groom had a fall and was covered in blood and a horse came out of the lorry and did a sort of spin on one leg on the gravel and ended up injured!

That was when Princess Anne was competiting regularly so she was always in the news. I also remember seeing Richard Walker competing Doublet at Kinlet Horse Trials in Shropshire.
Now who can beat that?

The Event Horse was useful though, and I can remember that she wrote that at a one day event you didn't know what the show jumping or the cross country was going to be like, but you DID know what was expected in the dressage test, so be sure to get that right to start with.

oldie48

Visit site
Goodness, and I thought I was imagining it or going mad! There were only the 3 tv channels at the time as well. I also seem to remember Princess Anne being involved riding a darkish bay long and low in trot circles in a field - not that many arenas around then!! Now what did I eat yesterday ... :)

If it is the film that I had on video, it was made for the Midland Bank (who sponsored Badminton, I think) by a close friend of my late father in law. There's a bit where Sheila's rider is jumping the eventer and she has a crashing fall, gets back on and continues then the voice over makes some comment that she'd knocked some teeth out. The novice course looked like a lot of decent hunt jumps and the dressage was, to be blunt, pretty awful. However, at that time (early 70's) novice was the introductory level, it's rather different now!

Orangehorse

Visit site
The Midland Bank used to sponsor ALL horse trials, at least the Novice ones. It was quite a revolution when other sponsors stepped in. Midland Bank used to publish an annual book describing the events, the results and various other information.
I kept all these books and used to look at them occasionally. I am not 100% if they are still lurking around somewhere in the depths of some box.

Smitty

Visit site
Thank you all for your very interesting posts.

I think I remember Mary King on a sports quiz many years ago being asked who the only rider to win Badminton finishing on their dressage score was. Unfortunately she was unable to come up with the answer which caused some hilarity as she had been a working pupil of Sheila's !!