Training tips/recommendations for rescue pup.

Scarlett

Visit site
Folks,

A week ago we took on a 7/8 month old pup from a rescue. He's had a tough start to life - we are the 4th home he's lived in already - and has been battered about a bit. He has damage to his face and jaw from being kicked that is currently under vet attention and has burn marks on his paws and legs. He is, however, a loving, sweet little pup who craves attention, is learning quickly and who has fitted into our life incredibly well in a short period of time. We have another dog, Digby, who is nearly 5 and they get on incredibly well sharing food bowls, sofas and beds already. He's also learned to sit, lie, give a paw, go to bed this week alone and is well behaved in the house.

He does, understandably, get a bit anxious. We are trying to remove all possible triggers from his life as best we can, however we do still need to take him to the yard with us etc and we are looking to make these things as easy as possible for him. His anxiety shows in jumping up, licking, shaking, pulling, barking, sometimes growling - though only at shaven headed men - and if told off he can cower. Pup is boxer x staff from what we can tell. A wonderful cross in our eyes - I've had staff crosses before and they were lovely dogs.

Digby, our older dog, is boxer x spaniel, was quite simple to train and is a pleasure to own. He goes everywhere with us, rarely goes on a lead and is incredibly social with people and other dogs. He was an anxious puppy but more through his natural inclination rather than bad experiences and in hindsight I realise how much we actually managed his life when he was a pup to ensure he wasn't stressed/upset. Quite happy to do the same for the new boy.

I've been looking into different training 'schools' this evening and, just like with horse training, there seem to be a million different opinions. We didn't follow a particular school with Digby, we just did what felt right at the time - I think we were lucky to have been able to practise with such a willing dog - but I am wondering if the new boy could do with more structure to help him settle and gain confidence. I absolutely understand this will take time and this is in no way a request for a quick fix. He is a member of the family now and will be given as much time and help as is needed.

Would love some suggestions on good websites/books, or opinions on training methods, especially from anyone who does deal with rescue dogs. We really want to make sure he is the best little dog he can be.

Thanks.