Training

Thistle

Visit site
I love training. Recently I was brave enough to enter my first proper (not charity) working test with my lab. It was tough and I loved it. All the points lost were my handling errors (mostly sloppy heelwork) The dog was awesome, completed every task set and as steady as a rock when needed. He marked and hunted well and needed minimal handling . Unfortunately everyone including me got a 0 for something in our group/section (novice dog/novice handler) so no awards were given. However when the results were given I was chuffed to see that we were 8 points clear. Shame not to be awarded the big shiny cup but it would have meant we were out of the class and I'm not ready to move up after just one comp.

NAJRBSJ

Visit site
Love hearing about everyones training.

We still train 3-4 times a week (agility and obedience) and I love it. My husband thinks i'm mad , but since I gave up the horses this has taken over my life. I just need to work out what is most suited to which dog now which I'm finding hard.

Rupert has loved his agility training since we've started and we have fun at the classes (3-4 dogs only) however, when at an agility show I have noticed a real change in him. He gets very nervous in the buzzy atmosphere and gets a displacement scratch behaviour, slows right up and just sniffs in the ring (he doesn't outside the ring) almost like he shuts off from it all. I just thought he was being a sod and suddenly am realising that I've been missing the poor boys clear signal that he's not happy :(

Meanwhile, he's been going great guns in his obedience classes and, while we have LOTS to work on, he seems to have enthusiasm for this as he's near to me most of the time. Hard work trying to get heelwork with a spanner but were getting there. I scribed for my friend who was judging C class at a KC obedience show last weekend and I really enjoyed it, such a calm atmosphere. I think this may suit him more. Any tips for heelwork would be greatly appreciated LOL

Also, we've never had a decent retrieve out of him and he's not keen on water BUT, suddenly at just over 2 years old he seems to have got it! We went to the river the other day for a paddle and he was flying in to retrieve the ball every time. Then we were persuaded to have a go on the little hay bale scurry at a local show last week (didn't expect him to even pick up the dummy) and he only went to the top of the leader board. He flippin flew. I was amazed and so proud of him. So I have to work out what's best suited to Rupert now I think.

Pip, on the other hand, is 3 weeks into agility classes (having done groundwork at home) and we've just closed in the channel weaves all the way. Her wing wraps and directional work is coming on and she is so focused on it that I know agility is the way forward with her. She also had a little swim for the first time, very splashy and nervous still but she was diving for rocks and floating, it looked so funny LOL

Some photos attached of the cheekies

66710545_10159294422567837_3703694567292272640_n.jpg67143408_10159294421757837_7114847165318430720_n.jpg67290417_10159297172327837_4121802091595300864_n.jpg67347686_10159294422152837_7935858858625335296_o.jpg66462446_10159297172282837_8353845634217803776_n.jpg

Clodagh

Visit site
I love training. Recently I was brave enough to enter my first proper (not charity) working test with my lab. It was tough and I loved it. All the points lost were my handling errors (mostly sloppy heelwork) The dog was awesome, completed every task set and as steady as a rock when needed. He marked and hunted well and needed minimal handling . Unfortunately everyone including me got a 0 for something in our group/section (novice dog/novice handler) so no awards were given. However when the results were given I was chuffed to see that we were 8 points clear. Shame not to be awarded the big shiny cup but it would have meant we were out of the class and I'm not ready to move up after just one comp.

That’s brilliant, well done. All your hard work is really paying off. :):)

Clodagh

Visit site
Love hearing about everyones training.

We still train 3-4 times a week (agility and obedience) and I love it. My husband thinks i'm mad , but since I gave up the horses this has taken over my life. I just need to work out what is most suited to which dog now which I'm finding hard.

Rupert has loved his agility training since we've started and we have fun at the classes (3-4 dogs only) however, when at an agility show I have noticed a real change in him. He gets very nervous in the buzzy atmosphere and gets a displacement scratch behaviour, slows right up and just sniffs in the ring (he doesn't outside the ring) almost like he shuts off from it all. I just thought he was being a sod and suddenly am realising that I've been missing the poor boys clear signal that he's not happy :(

Meanwhile, he's been going great guns in his obedience classes and, while we have LOTS to work on, he seems to have enthusiasm for this as he's near to me most of the time. Hard work trying to get heelwork with a spanner but were getting there. I scribed for my friend who was judging C class at a KC obedience show last weekend and I really enjoyed it, such a calm atmosphere. I think this may suit him more. Any tips for heelwork would be greatly appreciated LOL

Also, we've never had a decent retrieve out of him and he's not keen on water BUT, suddenly at just over 2 years old he seems to have got it! We went to the river the other day for a paddle and he was flying in to retrieve the ball every time. Then we were persuaded to have a go on the little hay bale scurry at a local show last week (didn't expect him to even pick up the dummy) and he only went to the top of the leader board. He flippin flew. I was amazed and so proud of him. So I have to work out what's best suited to Rupert now I think.

Pip, on the other hand, is 3 weeks into agility classes (having done groundwork at home) and we've just closed in the channel weaves all the way. Her wing wraps and directional work is coming on and she is so focused on it that I know agility is the way forward with her. She also had a little swim for the first time, very splashy and nervous still but she was diving for rocks and floating, it looked so funny LOL

Some photos attached of the cheekies

View attachment 34584View attachment 34585View attachment 34587View attachment 34588View attachment 34583

Lovely photos and I think it is great you are not rushing to compartmentalise them. Beautiful dogs. Mine too have replaced horses

Last edited:

NAJRBSJ

Visit site
I haven’t had dogs since I was a child and these two are teaching me so much. Very much like having horses what with their quirky ways and cues of stress etc. I’d love to learn more about Animal psychology