Tram lines - what am I doing wrong?

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
I dont do a lot of clipping ( daughter wont let me go near her pony with my clippers .... very wise! ) but I seem to be VERY talented at leaving tram lines.
tongue.gif

Are my blades not sharp enough .... am I putting too much pressure on the clippers, or not enough .... or am I just naturally rubbish and need to "step away from my clippers"!?

Any help or suggestions will be gratefully received!
blush.gif

kerilli

Visit site
umm, if you run over the tram lines again with the clippers, do they go? if not, don't worry, just wait 2 days and they'll be gone imho!
if they're cutting well, the blades are sharp enough. pressure makes little difference i think.

dessmont

Visit site
when we used to clip my first pony he would get the tram line effect but persnally I think that was due to antique clippers, blades not being quite sharp enough and a coarse coat. When tram lines have appeared on my horses nowadays its usually coz the blades need a sharpen - Im sure you're not rubbish, just get the blades checked if I were you
smile.gif

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
if you are getting tram lines that wont clip out on a cross clip it is usually because the gears in the clippers are not right and need a service and parts replacing. or your blades need doing! but they will grow softer in a few days

JenTaz

Visit site
tram lines are all due to you not keeping an even pressure my clippers are brand new and i even left tram lines its all about practice of keeping the pressure equal as you go along its hard honest you'll get better

Wilbur_Force

Visit site
Its generally about pressure, but I read somewhere that you should half overlap the previous stroke with the next one, so that in theory you never take off a full width stroke, which limits tram lines. Hope that makes sense
smile.gif

Persephone

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
umm, if you run over the tram lines again with the clippers, do they go? if not, don't worry, just wait 2 days and they'll be gone imho!
if they're cutting well, the blades are sharp enough. pressure makes little difference i think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely agree lol!

I always get tramlines, but they are always gone within a day or so.

I find most clips look a bit rough the day they are done. It settles down really fast. Especially having had a rug on top for a few hours.

That makes me sound really slack doesn't it lol.