Trampled Hay

Echo Bravo

Visit site
Hi, after having an ear full from my OH about the waste of hay, my horses trample in the ground, if I put up haynets on the fence they end up standing in mud and leave the hay, so I've started putting it on the ground where they are at the moment standing on solid ground but they do trample it in somewhat. How do other horse owners manage? and how have you sorted it out? :)

HaffiesRock

Visit site
I feed from the floor and I don't get much wastage, but we don't have much mud. I also have hay feeders made from pallets, but I only tend to feed from them when it's windy.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Feed adlib in a sheep ring feeder. There will always be some waste whatever you do. Having access to adlib forage is the most important thing to me.

Polos Mum

Visit site
Put up with the waste unfortunately - I save the outside bales and the bottom ones that might get a bit dusty for the field so they waste the not so great stuff!

Lucky788

Visit site
We made hay mangers for ours, we used wood to make little troughs almost (trying to think how to describe them!) that come up to just below chest height so they can't get legs in, and the are on the fence line with hedge behind and have one for each horse-they love them less waste but can still feed from the ground. Might be worth looking into?

Evie91

Visit site
It's a nightmare isn't it! I tried feeding from the ground but they mainly pooped in it!

I use nets now and put up with the waste. If it falls on the floor from the net they won't eat it. If the nets have been up more than two days they won't eat it ( I hate stuffing nets so made them up big, thinking I'd only have to do them a couple of times a week). I now do smaller nets and fill every other day. It's really good hay too!

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I use hay hutches which limits the waste but it still builds up and gets trampled in. Some horses just pull loads out at once and drag it all over.

honetpot

Visit site
Four pallets tied together to make a square. Rough hay or straw at the bottom, hay on top either in a hay net tied top and bottom across the box or well shoved in loose . You know they are hungry if they eat the straw.
Takes about 10mins to make and you can cut it apart to move it.

charliecrisps

Visit site
A pallet on bottom, sides built up with pallets. thick mesh on top (not chicken wire etc as must be heavy) Hay goes in, more thick heavy mesh so as horses eat the hay the mesh slides down, keeping all neatly in place and cheap!