Transform the BHS - Not vitriol but vision

PAK

Visit site
I am an optimist. I believe the BHS can be transformed into the organisation its members want. Here’s my own initial thoughts about what that might be.

1. An organisation that meets the needs of its member first and foremost.

2. Those needs should be determined by the members themselves.

3. All activities & services should be designed to meet those needs.

4. A "grass roots" organisation that is membership centred, locally led, and regionally & nationally coordinated.

5. A not for profit organisation with democratic principles in action, "checks and balances", and fully transparent ways of working.

6. Like great charities, every penny of its income from members must be spent on the purpose of the organisation - not in high profile events, expensive capital equipment and high salaried staff.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I like where you're going but, is that a charity? As Devil's advocate, you need to forget about members and think about horses. Start from the top and work your way down from there.

Horses are benefitted by:
Better trained owners
Research into the best care, management and medicine

then does this model work if it is locally led? Possibly not so maybe the governance needs to come from central.

PAK

Visit site
Thanks for the reply. In part I agree but horses are "represented" by their owners and advocates. Yes I believe this model does work and exists in charities. Governance comes in at multiple levels of democratic control; local democratic committees, regional and national committees with a Board of elected trustees led by an elected chair. The "sharp end" is at the local end; horses and riders/owners. Anything central needs to be created/supported by local level membership. Central services exist to serve.

Goldenstar

Visit site
1and 2 Most charities don’t have members most charity’s campaign to persuade people to part with money to help them meet their aims and campaign to raise awareness of the issues in their area of interest .
I am happy for the BHS to be the main voice of the horse world that is not racing and the very top end of equestrian sport .
I am very relaxed that the BHS sets its agenda and leads that agenda rather than trying somehow to follow its membership.
3. I disagree , the BHS should be seeking to lead not follow while it needs to be aware of what it’s membership is thinking I don’t need a organisation to prop up what I think I need one that leads and looks at the big picture .
4. The one I hate most is the division of grass roots and elite an interest in horses is enough ,there is no difference and I have no interest in an organisation who settles itself in a grass roots ghetto .
5. There’s does appear to be a bit of an issue here with the BHS atm here as I am no longer involved other than as a member I have no real evidence to form a judgement .
6. I don’t need the BHS to send money on me I can support what I do myself I want the BHS to be our there campaigning on business rates on road safety on ensuring there’s good training for those who want to teach and care for horses as a living , ensuring there’s still good ways into horses for those who don’t have horsey parents etc etc .
Organisations need capital equipment and they need good staff and good staff costs money I don’t want to support an organisation that does not remunerate people fairly the BHS is a big charity and you can’t expect to get the skills that are needed run it on the cheap .
I think the trustees ought to examine the recruitment of the top officials and make sure we are getting the right people with the right attitude but again that’s not based on evidence just anecdotal stuff .
It’s not unusual for charities to get issues at the interface between volunteers and paid officials it’s something I have observed in several and experianced in the BHS which why I no longer volunteer for the BHS and will never do so again .
The BHS does for the most part a good job sure there’s loads I would change the awful dumbed down magazine and it’s reduced profile in the welfare world are the first two that spring to mind .
It’s a fact of life that sort of pleasing lots of the people a fair bit of the time is about the best they can achieve when the membership is so diverse.

PAK

Visit site
1and 2 Most charities don’t have members most charity’s campaign to persuade people to part with money to help them meet their aims and campaign to raise awareness of the issues in their area of interest .
I am happy for the BHS to be the main voice of the horse world that is not racing and the very top end of equestrian sport .
I am very relaxed that the BHS sets its agenda and leads that agenda rather than trying somehow to follow its membership.
3. I disagree , the BHS should be seeking to lead not follow while it needs to be aware of what it’s membership is thinking I don’t need a organisation to prop up what I think I need one that leads and looks at the big picture .
4. The one I hate most is the division of grass roots and elite an interest in horses is enough ,there is no difference and I have no interest in an organisation who settles itself in a grass roots ghetto .
5. There’s does appear to be a bit of an issue here with the BHS atm here as I am no longer involved other than as a member I have no real evidence to form a judgement .
6. I don’t need the BHS to send money on me I can support what I do myself I want the BHS to be our there campaigning on business rates on road safety on ensuring there’s good training for those who want to teach and care for horses as a living , ensuring there’s still good ways into horses for those who don’t have horsey parents etc etc .
Organisations need capital equipment and they need good staff and good staff costs money I don’t want to support an organisation that does not remunerate people fairly the BHS is a big charity and you can’t expect to get the skills that are needed run it on the cheap .
I think the trustees ought to examine the recruitment of the top officials and make sure we are getting the right people with the right attitude but again that’s not based on evidence just anecdotal stuff .
It’s not unusual for charities to get issues at the interface between volunteers and paid officials it’s something I have observed in several and experianced in the BHS which why I no longer volunteer for the BHS and will never do so again .
The BHS does for the most part a good job sure there’s loads I would change the awful dumbed down magazine and it’s reduced profile in the welfare world are the first two that spring to mind .
It’s a fact of life that sort of pleasing lots of the people a fair bit of the time is about the best they can achieve when the membership is so diverse.

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. My responses -

1. Many charities have members. Eg. Girl Guides, National Trust etc

2. While you may accept that some people at BHS set an agenda without involvement ofits membership, I am not. It is not democratic.

3. Everyone can look at the big picture and the detail and have a voice.

4. Your choice of words “grass roots ghetto” are notable.

5. The evidence exists. Why not find out if you are a member?

6. I would not support inadequate compensation nor do I support building a large hierarchy or purchasing white elephants.

7. I agree – “I think the trustees ought to examine the recruitment of the top officials and make sure we are getting the right people with the right attitude but again that’s not based on evidence just anecdotal stuff .” Again – there is evidence in the public domain.

8. It’s a shame that you no longer volunteer. I know that is increasing true. To me that is another symptom that something isn’t right.

9. I agree about the magazine and reduced welfare profile. But I disagree about the “good job”.

10. I don’t accept that “It’s a fact of life that sort of pleasing lots of the people a fair bit of the time is about the best they can achieve when the membership is so diverse.”. There are many organisations with high employee & customer satisfaction ratings. Nor do I think most people in the BHS are pleased.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I am sorry to hear that. Would you say why?

I've been gradually getting more disillusioned with them as a charity over the years, plus I am seriously unimpressed with the cliqueyness of the organisation, particularly in my area, and the lack of support for coaches (unless you happen to be in the clique). And the latest s***storm in the BHS (and the other thread on here, which shows the sort of in-fighting that is going on, just makes me :rolleyes:

I started a thread on here several months ago, when there was an article in the magazine about the campaign lorry (and that they were getting another, smaller one) because I was appalled at the sheer waste of (charity) money, money which imo should be spent on the charitable aims of the organisation.

I've decided my money is better given to a different horse charity which will use it more wisely.

PAK

Visit site
I've been gradually getting more disillusioned with them as a charity over the years, plus I am seriously unimpressed with the cliqueyness of the organisation, particularly in my area, and the lack of support for coaches (unless you happen to be in the clique). And the latest s***storm in the BHS (and the other thread on here, which shows the sort of in-fighting that is going on, just makes me :rolleyes:

I started a thread on here several months ago, when there was an article in the magazine about the campaign lorry (and that they were getting another, smaller one) because I was appalled at the sheer waste of (charity) money, money which imo should be spent on the charitable aims of the organisation.

I've decided my money is better given to a different horse charity which will use it more wisely.

Thanks for the reply. I wish there was no need for this and similar threads in the Forum. I completely agree that the income should be spent on the aims of the organisation. Sadly, as you know from your own thread, this has not been and is not the case for the BHS.

honetpot

Visit site
The charitable aims of the BHS are horse welfare, education and the support of things like road safety and bridleways, which effect the welfare of both horse and rider. I think everyone would support that.
Education in the world of horses has never been more needed, not just to pass exams but to on pass basic animal care an horsemanship, you only have to look on Facebook at some of the very simple management questions that people ask. They buy a horse because it’s cheaper than lessons or buying a car. We are losing riding schools so support of grass roots instructors and trainers with a chance for continuing professional development is key to horse welfare.
There have been some really good ideas put forward, like Friends at the End but there really seems a disconnect between the doers and people we need to reach and the currant management.
They seem to have very poor management skills an a lack of willingness to communicate properly with members who provide most of the income, charity or not.
The truth is if you are unhappy with managent practices and you work for the BHS either paid or voluntary you end up losing your job. Any look at the people they are losing, people who command respect in their field.
Look how unhappy some of the regions are. No one likes change but to make changes without consultation with people who do the work. I can not tell if this was a deliberate strategy to make people leave but in some cases they did.

I am happy if they are open and above board with the changes, but it’s a bit like House of Cards, stealth changes whilst maintaining the brand image.

We need to know how much things are costing,we are paying for it and is it value for money. The horsebox is a very shiny example, but the castrations clinics seem to be expensive for the amount of animals treated.
Look at the books, if it was my business I would not be happy.

None of these questions can be asked by the members as there is no AGM and we want to be able to ask them. The new changes will make it even harder to raise concerns or even get a foot in the door. I have sent an email with a list of five questions and I have not even had an acknowledgement of the email.

If you are a member of the BHS for the insurance, because you need exams, or you want to support animal welfare there are better options.
I think we need an organisation like the BHS to promote the best practice and to help people do the job, but it may be no longer best organisation to do it.

So after 40 years I think my money is better spent elsewhere. I used to happy to say I was a BHS member, I still have my original metal badge.When I was 18 and knew nothing it gave me something to aspire to, now feel like I have been conned for about the last 5 years.

Goldenstar

Visit site
The charitable aims of the BHS are horse welfare, education and the support of things like road safety and bridleways, which effect the welfare of both horse and rider. I think everyone would support that.
Education in the world of horses has never been more needed, not just to pass exams but to on pass basic animal care an horsemanship, you only have to look on Facebook at some of the very simple management questions that people ask. They buy a horse because it’s cheaper than lessons or buying a car. We are losing riding schools so support of grass roots instructors and trainers with a chance for continuing professional development is key to horse welfare.
There have been some really good ideas put forward, like Friends at the End but there really seems a disconnect between the doers and people we need to reach and the currant management.
They seem to have very poor management skills an a lack of willingness to communicate properly with members who provide most of the income, charity or not.
The truth is if you are unhappy with managent practices and you work for the BHS either paid or voluntary you end up losing your job. Any look at the people they are losing, people who command respect in their field.
Look how unhappy some of the regions are. No one likes change but to make changes without consultation with people who do the work. I can not tell if this was a deliberate strategy to make people leave but in some cases they did.

I am happy if they are open and above board with the changes, but it’s a bit like House of Cards, stealth changes whilst maintaining the brand image.

We need to know how much things are costing,we are paying for it and is it value for money. The horsebox is a very shiny example, but the castrations clinics seem to be expensive for the amount of animals treated.
Look at the books, if it was my business I would not be happy.

None of these questions can be asked by the members as there is no AGM and we want to be able to ask them. The new changes will make it even harder to raise concerns or even get a foot in the door. I have sent an email with a list of five questions and I have not even had an acknowledgement of the email.

If you are a member of the BHS for the insurance, because you need exams, or you want to support animal welfare there are better options.
I think we need an organisation like the BHS to promote the best practice and to help people do the job, but it may be no longer best organisation to do it.

So after 40 years I think my money is better spent elsewhere. I used to happy to say I was a BHS member, I still have my original metal badge.When I was 18 and knew nothing it gave me something to aspire to, now feel like I have been conned for about the last 5 years.

I think this a perceptive post it’s my feeling is the BHS don’t care they think it’s the members that feel like this who are in the wrong .

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I think this a perceptive post it’s my feeling is the BHS don’t care they think it’s the members that feel like this who are in the wrong .

Nail...head.

Having been a member since 79 when I ventured out on the BHS training and exams route, I've been active on local committee and latterly was a volunteer for welfare and FATE too. I left all and have been 'just a member' for the last 3 years or so. I wasnt impressed with the way HQ was going, couldn't do a damned thing about it on my own and thought perhaps it was just me being disillusioned with HQ. Locally unless you want only BHS training, you need to join a RC as they are very active whereas the county bhs is not.
I really feel for the local volunteers, who against all odds are still getting on with trying to help.

Reactions: PAK

Rowreach

👀
Visit site

The problem is that a vast number of people join the BHS solely because they think they are getting cheap third party insurance, which for those that try to claim is not always the case, so a huge percentage of the membership aren't remotely interested in the charitable aims anyway, or in home the organisation functions on any level.

If they find that long standing supporters start leaving in their droves, they might take more notice.

teapot

Visit site
I'm only a member for the exams and training opportunities (which give BHS Berkshire their due - offered me a place on one of their subsidised says despite being counties away!).

PAK

Visit site
You may be correct but I don't think we have any data to support the view that the majority of people are seeking cheap insurance. In my experience, most members do care about the charitable aims especially welfare. And many people are members of Riding Clubs, breed societies, World of Horse Welfare etc. But what I think turns members off is being "treated like mushrooms, kept in the dark and heaped with manure". A quote that has been attributed to the BHS.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
You may be correct but I don't think we have any data to support the view that the majority of people are seeking cheap insurance. In my experience, most members do care about the charitable aims especially welfare. And many people are members of Riding Clubs, breed societies, World of Horse Welfare etc. But what I think turns members off is being "treated like mushrooms, kept in the dark and heaped with manure". A quote that has been attributed to the BHS.

Well I certainly don't have any data to support it, but having been on this forum for more years than I should have, I know that whenever someone posts about needing TPI, someone else advises them to join the BHS, and other people come along and say ooh that's a good idea, I didn't realise they did insurance ....

I mean, if the BHS was doing it right, ALL horse owners and riders and parents and people with pony mad children would be members.

teapot

Visit site
Well I certainly don't have any data to support it, but having been on this forum for more years than I should have, I know that whenever someone posts about needing TPI, someone else advises them to join the BHS, and other people come along and say ooh that's a good idea, I didn't realise they did insurance ....

I mean, if the BHS was doing it right, ALL horse owners and riders and parents and people with pony mad children would be members.

I believe PC membership is on the decline too.

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
I have a problem with ‘not for profit’ organisa
I am an optimist. I believe the BHS can be transformed into the organisation its members want. Here’s my own initial thoughts about what that might be.

4. A "grass roots" organisation that is membership centred, locally led, and regionally & nationally coordinated.

5. A not for profit organisation with democratic principles in action, "checks and balances", and fully transparent ways of working.

6. Like great charities, every penny of its income from members must be spent on the purpose of the organisation - not in high profile events, expensive capital equipment and high salaried staff.[/QUOTE

No5. I have real difficulties with ‘not for profit’ Companies. If you want to run a business, r

6. Like great charities, every penny of its income from members must be spent on the purpose of the organisation - not in high profile events, expensive capital equipment and high salaried staff.

Firstly, I take issue with the word ‘organisation’. It is not conducive with a Charity. One of the biggest cons in the 21stCentury is this ‘not for profit’ scam. Either you are a business or a charity. Don’t muddy the waters. ‘Purposes of the Organisations’ is verging on cult speak. I’m not sure of your motives, but proposals like this are unhelpful.

honetpot

Visit site

PAK

Visit site
I have a problem with ‘not for profit’ organisa

Firstly, I take issue with the word ‘organisation’. It is not conducive with a Charity. One of the biggest cons in the 21stCentury is this ‘not for profit’ scam. Either you are a business or a charity. Don’t muddy the waters. ‘Purposes of the Organisations’ is verging on cult speak. I’m not sure of your motives, but proposals like this are unhelpful.

My motives are simple. Lots of related threads in this Tack Room are negative. I wanted this one to be positive and constructive. In my experience, there are more variety than just business or charity. However, BHS has charitable status under the law. My interest is how it can be the best charity possible; not changing it into a business.

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
Actually you can be a business or not for profit organisations, often this often the first step in becoming a charity when you provide a service.
https://www.resourcecentre.org.uk/information/legal-structures-for-community-and-voluntary-groups/
Often charities run separate entities as businesses and the profits are given to the charity, the BHS does this already.
I realise that. I don’t won’t my membership money used for ‘bonuses’. A not for profit organisation is not a charity. It’s a business that needs a profit. What they do with that profit is questionable.

PAK

Visit site

PAK

Visit site
I would like to see a BHS with democratically elected trustees like Sally McCarthy, of Aberdeen Riding Club (check out their facebook pages and web site). Very sadly for members, Sally was recently turned down for the Board.

Velcrobum

Visit site
I would like to see a BHS with democratically elected trustees like Sally McCarthy, of Aberdeen Riding Club (check out their facebook pages and web site). Very sadly for members, Sally was recently turned down for the Board.
On what grounds was she rejected?

PAK

Visit site
On what grounds was she rejected?
Look at the Aberdeen Riding Club Facebook page - Here's some of the info from Sally McCarthy who would be a great trustee.
In short, the fundraising role had a list of desired skills/experience, which basically read like my c.v. I was fairly sure I met all their requirements or I would never have wasted their time (or that of those who nominated me) by applying. However after a few months of waiting, being interviewed by the nominations committee (which is made up of 2 board members and 1 external member, although I believe they were also a past board member), I received an email detailing that they didn't feel my experience was as suited as my c.v. detailed and when I requested further feedback, they suggested I attend business networking days and joined a fundraising type institute. Weirdly, my c.v. was simply a list of my experiences that were relevant as I wasn't applying for a job - I was applying for a volunteer position so I'm not sure which of my experiences disappeared at the phone interview!
Luckily, I am fairly laid back and I was happy to take all this with a bit of good humour - my current fundraising has allowed ARC to build a "wee shed", kit it out and fund over 40 kids a week to ride who can't afford it. I'm obsessive about making our sport accessible and I volunteer for as many things as possible that I think increase accessibility. The last business mentoring thing I attended was one I was the main speaker at - for the BHS, which was attended by one of their Directors, who took lots of notes 🙂

I didn't mind though because I have a pretty thick skin and I assumed a better candidate had applied, but I don't think anyone else did - I think I was the only applicant for that role, as they have never announced the election of a fundraising trustee (or a marketing one come to think of it) and there was never an election.

They must have really, really not wanted me if I was the only applicant who met the criteria or applied and they still blocked me! I suspect a lot of it was due to the fact that I'm a bit renowned for speaking my mind and being a little blunt. However I think I am always fair, if I believe in something I will give it 110% and I think I, plus the organisation that I run always conduct ourselves in a professional manner.

I suspect seeing stuff online and how the board are now trying to change the articles that I had a narrow escape and I don't think I would have been comfortable as a trustee but my experience should encourage all members to vote at the general meeting on 5th January - if you are thinking "Sally would have been a great board member" then vote - because as a member you didn't get a chance to vote for me as a potential trustee because the board didn't want me. Or rather the nominations committee which is made up with a majority of board members didn't want me. That's only going to get worse if the board chooses the majority of the board.

Don't be apathetic on this one - vote about these changes to the articles! Whether you vote to reject the changes, or vote to implement the changes giving less member input to the board, just vote. If you can't find the envelope, email me and I can send you the voting slip electronically. You can either go to the meeting (it's on 5th January at BHS HQ) or you can nominate a proxy voter - I am happy to be proxy for people as I'm going.
You just download the voting slip, fill in your proxy voter persons name, note the way you are voting if you want to (you don't have to - you can tell me instead) and then email it back to the address shown and email me a copy - sally@aberdeenridingclub.com

Go on..... take 5 minutes out of your day! The BHS is a good organisation - lets keep it that way and keep it an organisation that we as members and supporters can have a say in.