Transition from 1 to 2 horses

ed&arch

Visit site
Hi all,

After some advise..
I currently just have the one Section D pony. He’s kept at home with me, we live on a large herd dairy farm. I’m thinking of getting another horse, as although he is very settled on his own I think it would be nice for him to have some company.

How much time does a 2nd one add to your routine duties? I’m contemplating either getting a “mini “companion but am more swayed to the idea of getting one I can ride/box up to shows/hack etc.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Personally I find it's the riding that really bumps up the time commitment. so it will depend on what you decide to get.

Other stuff can be minimised in terms of time - if you are turning out in the field, take them together so it's still one trip, for instance.
If you're making feed or haynets - it's barely any extra to do an additional one while you're already there. But the time spent for riding you can't really get away from other than riding and leading.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I've had one, and had as many as four, and agree with poster above that yes whilst you've still got to do stuff like grooming & picking out feet, rugging etc daily, its the actual riding that noticeably takes the time; and by "riding" I mean quality time spent productively doing something rather than a quick flip in the school or a quick hack round the block.

Two is deffo easier, management-wise than three, as if you're really stuck you can always ride & lead, and also two are easier to lead and do tricky gates with than three!

I have two at the moment; and as one is a youngster and the other is a "project", I haven't yet graduated to leading-and-riding. I need all my horses to go out happily both solo and together, so tend to ride solo during the week when I can and wait till the weekend when a friend can ride out with me.

If you did think of getting two OP, I agree that its helpful if you can ride it! You might find someone to ride with, and its nice to have a second horse anyway!

Theocat

Visit site
With two, beware of pair bonding - you need to be prepared to put in some hefty effort at the beginning to get them used to being apart. Coping on your own with two horses who refuse to be separated will suck every ounce of joy out of your horse time. Of course, that might just mean you need three.

In terms of what to get - choose something with similar needs to your own horse. Having a good-doer mini would be no good if you end up needing separate grazing, endless muzzling, or having to keep one - and hence both - off the grass. Paying out a bit more on keep for something that will be less hassle day to day will be well worth it.

Years ago I took on a mini as a companion. My mare couldn't see the point of her at all and certainly didn't consider her to be good company, so it was a complete waste of time!

catkin

Visit site
Would agree with the posters above if you are looking for a second riding horse.

If you decide upon a companion have you thought of approaching a reputable local sanctuary to see if they have any ponies that would like the job? (and being a good companion is a very under-rated skill as not all ponies would be happy with the life) We have had the most delightful and characterful companion ponies this way. Good sanctuaries try very hard to place their ponies in suitable homes, taking into account not only the facilities available but also the personalities of the ponies concerned.

Chuffy99

Visit site
How I agree with the companion pony scenario, when the companion has to be barricaded in a stable so you can ride or spends the whole time neighing it takes so much pleasure away that quite often you don’t ride. A good companion pony is worth its weight in hay.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
With two, beware of pair bonding - you need to be prepared to put in some hefty effort at the beginning to get them used to being apart.

Yep, this is precisely why I make sure that my two (both mares) are taken out at least once during the week on a solo outing.

I'm anal about it TBH; and will make every effort come-what-may to get the blighters out solo without arguing with me about it.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I went up to two last year and love it. I’m on a small livery yard and I have more freedom as mine now go out together and I don’t have to worry about them being left on their own. My old boy loves the new boy and they get on really well. Both are good doer warmbloods. I haven’t found the care massively different but as others say excercise takes the time. I got a younger horse to succeed my 24hr old so the older horse does not need riding every day in any case. I also have an older lady who rides him a couple of times a week as well and we ride out together.

I have to stable the other when I’m riding, there is no way either would settle on their own in the field. At first both were a pain to leave even in the stable whilst I rode out. But now they are mostly ok I usually give a treat ball and make sure I’ve skipped out although the boxes are often a bit messy. Both are fine leaving without the other but neither likes to be the one that’s left.

FlyingCircus

Visit site
Depends on the horses!

I had 2 geldings last year who I could ride and lead, bring in together, tie next to each other and life was easy...this year I have a mare and a gelding and can't yet do any of those things without her threatening his life (despite them being happily turned out together!).

I suspect it will come, but just a lot of added effort and time now.

catkin

Visit site
Depends on the horses!

I had 2 geldings last year who I could ride and lead, bring in together, tie next to each other and life was easy...this year I have a mare and a gelding and can't yet do any of those things without her threatening his life (despite them being happily turned out together!).

I suspect it will come, but just a lot of added effort and time now.

It's well worth the effort at the beginning as you never know when you need them to do things separately. For example, our companion got a nasty bout of urticaria so had to be kept in for 24 hours - Fellboy was already used to being turned out alone occasionally so there wasn't any added drama.

NinjaPony

Visit site
2 is definitely a step up- don’t underestimate how much more a second will cost! Double everything, feed, shoes, insurance, bedding, hay, vets etc. I have one ridden pony, and my first pony who is retired and thankfully is extremely cheap to run. There’s no guarantee of that though! I agree that you need the second to slot in with your management. Mine are both good doers, both like to be stabled part of the time, and are on most of the same feed/supplements. They need the same kind of grazing, and go out happily together. Neither is clingy, I can leave one out alone while I deal with the other. They will also lead together which saves time! Just always remember that having a ‘spare’ is useful, but there’s no guarantee that you won’t end up with two broken horses rather than one...

That said, I love being a two horse owner, and can’t imagine just having the one!

tankgirl1

Visit site
I bought my mare a shettie a couple of years ago, they share a stable overnight in winter, and are currently out 24/7 together. They both benefit from restricted grazing and minimal hard feed so no problems in that respect. They both just get a token handful of nuts at bring in in winter.

My mare isn't being ridden really at the moment due to my health so they live the life of riley really. On the odd occasion I bring her in on her own, or ride out the shettie screams his head off and gallops around even when turned out in a herd, but as long as he isn't alone then I am mean and let him get on with it.

I've always fed adlib hay, and little un probably only adds a slice or two of hay to haynets per night, mucking out becomes harder as they move around a lot overnight and mush it all in.

The biggest thing is double the worry, which is not something to be sniffed at when you become responsible for 2 lives and all their needs, and double the farriers/vets/dentists bills etc

Hack4fun

Visit site
How I agree with the companion pony scenario, when the companion has to be barricaded in a stable so you can ride or spends the whole time neighing it takes so much pleasure away that quite often you don’t ride. A good companion pony is worth its weight in hay.

I ended up getting my companion an companion and now have three.

SEL

Visit site
I say it all the time but I do really appreciate having a spare 🙈😂

Having spent all summer with a companion horse who is more sound than the one I'm supposed to be riding I'm now contemplating buying #3.

Need to be careful though or I'll end up like you going from 2 to a herd in a blink!! :p

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
It is a LOT more work IMO.

Things like mucking out, poo picking, riding, twice the time. Farrier visits, insurance, feed twice the cost. Having a second to ride is good, but keeping both fit was difficult for me and working full time hours. The bonding is really tough as mine adore each other. Both of mine hack alone and in company, although one is retired, but they still call to the other and have a barney if one is in without the other.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I think the things like chores depends on how your yard is set up.

Mine have easy beds (pellets) and the field is next to my stable. The longest walk is to collect a wheelbarrow ;) so to skip out 2 stables it's def less than double the time for 1, because I'm only collecting/returning the wheelbarrow once. They are tidy in their stables and i'm not desperately fussy which helps :p
Likewise my paddocks are next door to each other and I duck under the fence to go from one to the other. I walk up one, duck under fence and walk back through the other. I have to walk to the end anyway, so it's not that much extra time to collect a few poos on the return journey.

For other set ups this will vary, obviously :)

JulesRules

Visit site
I went from 1 to 2 last year, although for different reasons as my mare hates dressage and that's what I want to do.

There are both pros and cons to having 2. The main benefit for me being on a small yard is not having to worry about what others are doing. I can leave mine out when I want and bring in when I want and not have to fit in with others.
The other benefit is that I have a couple of friends that come over and hack out with me on my mare so I have people to ride with. I've also got my mare a sharer now to help with the jobs and riding. I find the biggest time difference is poo picking for 2. My mare is a very very good doer so needs riding in summer to keep the weight off but can be left living out in winter with minimal work, but finding her a rider in summer is an easier proposition especially as we have off road hacking.
Obviously 2 need to be insured, teeth, jabs, feet etc. so it does cost more.

Mine are separated by electric which helps them to not get overly bonded and stops the brat pony from irritating his big sister too much. They share a paddock with my YOs 2 which helps when I take one away. They are strip grazed so I normally move the fence and give them a bit of grass to distract them when I take one away.

My advice would be is to try and get a 2nd horse that doesn't "need" riding or something that you can easily find a rider for if needed.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I think the things like chores depends on how your yard is set up.

Mine have easy beds (pellets) and the field is next to my stable. The longest walk is to collect a wheelbarrow ;) so to skip out 2 stables it's def less than double the time for 1, because I'm only collecting/returning the wheelbarrow once. They are tidy in their stables and i'm not desperately fussy which helps :p
Likewise my paddocks are next door to each other and I duck under the fence to go from one to the other. I walk up one, duck under fence and walk back through the other. I have to walk to the end anyway, so it's not that much extra time to collect a few poos on the return journey.

For other set ups this will vary, obviously :)

Similar to me. I changed to pellet bedding awhile before and it’s really quick to muck out, not much waste and cheap. Stables are rubber matted and have automatic waterers. .

They’re out a lot more than when I only had one. They’re both out together so one trip to the field. The Yard suddenly decided to let us have 24hr turn out which was fantastic plus even if they’re in at night its for a lot less time as before mine was turned out quite late by somebody else and brought in early as her horse used to want to come in. Now I can turn out as early as I like and bring in as late as I like. It’s amazing how much less bedding and hay I need with the longer turn-out. I think my hay bill was about the same for two last year as for one previous years.

Paddocks are very close. Muck heap is on a trailer very close. Two of my paddocks have automatic waterers the other two filled by adjacent hose. I usually just keep them in turn-out rugs so I don’t have to rugs change all the time.

I don’t insure my oldie anymore but do my younger one. They share a lot of equipment except saddles and bridles. Even rugs mostly fit them both. I bought 4 rugs for newbie and a fly mask, none for the stable. I have about 20 for the oldie!

catembi

Visit site
I ended up getting my Shetland companion a NF companion because every time I took my ID mare out, she & the Shetland would should & shout & shout for every step of every hack. Sold the mare as I couldn't stay on her, so down to 2, backed the NF as I was booooored, bought a gelding to ride, so back up to 3, am plotting to get Trev the ex-racer back from ret livery so that will be 4...!

3 is fine as they are all at home, everyone lives out, there is a routine of who gets fed where, I am of the 'less is more' school of grooming, so it's just footcare really. I am trying not to think about what it will be like to have 16 muddy feet to do in mid winter in the dark, and we are on v heavy clay...

Griffin

Visit site
I had two for a year when I was looking after a friend's. I think yard set up makes a big difference too. I had one at one end of the yard and the other at the opposite which made things take longer. Luckily, their tack and storage were together, so I could prepare feeds and haynets in one area. In the summer, it was fairly easy because they were both out but in the winter, mucking out two was a pain!

Cost wise, obviously things like dentist, vaccinations, insurance and farrier double but day to day, I didn't notice too much difference. I had them both on the same bedding and hay, which meant that I could buy in bulk and save a little that way. Feed-wise, although they were on different feeds, they were both good doers so costs were still low.

NinjaPony

Visit site
Also if you do get a second, I recommend getting something tough and cheap to run... my welsh companion has no shoes, lives off fresh air, no special needs other than a bit of danilon for his hocks, and because he is little, his hay bill is pretty low! He also fits in a small stable, so less bedding is needed. Having two that cost the same as my ridden pony to run would cripple me...

Sasana Skye

Visit site
In terms of time added to day to day responsibilities - mucking out, turning out, feeding, haynets etc. having another horse added virtually nothing to my time, maybe an extra 10 minutes a day just to do the extra stable? I honestly didn't notice it (except financially). One positive - I did notice I found it easier to get physio, dentist, saddle fit etc appointments quicker because people don't like coming out to do just one horse but two makes it more worthwhile for them. Also helpful having an 'insurance' horse, just incase one breaks.

The extra time comes in the riding. I do a lot of hacking riding and leading if time or energy is short which adds no extra time and gets them both exercised albeit one more than the other, but I switch on days so ride one, lead the other, then swap the next time. My horses do different jobs now and are at completely different levels so it's nice having the variety tbh. On saying that, until one of mine is retired which hopefully won't happen for many years yet, I really wouldn't get any more (she says now).

scats

Visit site
Two works for me because of the set up our yard. It’s very much do your own thing with your own fields, and my fields are away from the other horses fields so it suits me to have two horses. I also find myself incredibly bored if I have just one!
Turning out and bringing in I do together, I have drag along wheelie water buckets so I can do those together and hay and feeds some really take much extra time. It’s actually things like rugging up in winter that I find adds noticeable minutes.
I find riding two a day is almost impossible with my health and lifestyle, so I tend to do two days with one horse and then the third with the other. Fortunately at the moment the other is still in the process of slowly returning to work after a year off, so I don’t feel as much pressure to keep her in work. She regularly gets the odd week off!

Three horses part stabled becomes a nightmare, in my opinion.

BigGingerMare

Visit site
At the end of last year, I went the other way, from 3 to 2. I couldn't believe how much easier it was! I lost my old TB and, once we'd all come to terms a bit about not having him there, I suddenly realised how much more time, effort and money he was than the other two. Their costs for DIY livery, per head, were the same but the other costs for him were much higher as the other two are both a lot tougher. He had more feed, more hay, feet needed doing more regularly, needed more rugs ...etc etc etc.
I love having two, I like being able to ride with a friend and one of mine is a gem that anyone can use. And I think, if you've got two fairly hardy sorts, going from 1 to 2 is probably not that much of a shock - but, as others have said, beware of the over-bonding problems (which we're currently working on, sigh). I guess what I'm saying is that, in my experience, one high-maintenance horse is harder work than two easy ones!