Transport costs

foraday

Visit site
It depends whether you want a shared load or individual load. We only ever have individual loads and was charged £1500. Horse arrived 13 hours later after being pick up and brought directly to us.

Shared loads are very much cheaper around £300-500 but then you can wait days for your horse and not everyone has their horses up to date with jabs etc.

It depends upon your budget and what you are bringing over. If you are bringing a foal over I would do individual every time.

kalasadi

Visit site
OMG horror story here!

Friend got a lovely warmblood over and has got strangles due to shared load! Took 4 days to get to them and when the horse arrived it really didn't look well-desperate for water and hay, but 5 days later started with strangles.

My friend was charged £250 to bring back from belguim and now has a £700+ vets bill! So far no other horses on the livery yard have contracted strangles but its early days. Yard Owner says friend will have to pay all the extra expenses due to her horse bringing in the strangles!

Friend is pertrified that she will have loads of vet bills to pay and as the horse was still in its 14 day exclusion for insurance she has to foot the bill herself.

Agree with other post-go individual as it may cost a bit more but then you haven't got the worry of diseases being spread.

SarahNZ

Visit site
Ahh crikey, what a huge price difference! Is sole travel meaning the only horse on the entire truck? Or only horse in its division of the truck?

I'm extremely surprised the transporters don't require horses to be vaccinated....

kalasadi

Visit site
Hi Sarah

Individual means the only horse on the lorry so they get 5 star treatment-door to door travel.

Shared means just that loads of other horses being picked up and dropped off-meaning longer on the lorry and constant stopping and starting.

Transporters do not have the authority to tell an owner that the horse must be vaccinated!!!! All transporters need is the passport, health papers and export licence-that's all DEFRA will check at Dover also-they do not have the authority either to demand an owner vaccinates their horse!

Friends vet bill now has topped £1200 due to one other horse contracting strangles. They are hoping that this is the only horse! She now wishes she had scraped together the money for an individual as its costing a fortune-there is a meeting on sunday as there are 4 horses that have already entered some bsja comps before and after christmas so think she has to pay those entries too. He vet is being great as he said he would do vets certificates for the horses so they should get their money back (???) or she will have to pay those as well.

Good luck with your transport though!

SarahNZ

Visit site
Hmm well I know it would be a bit of business killer, but they COULD require all horses to be vaccinated to travel with them.
I assume your friends horse wasn't vaccinated against strangles either? What a shame.

burtie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Hmm well I know it would be a bit of business killer, but they COULD require all horses to be vaccinated to travel with them.
I assume your friends horse wasn't vaccinated against strangles either? What a shame

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with the strangles vaccine is it is not really a guarantee of success, so whilst it may reduce the chances a bit, there is so much conflicting evidence on it's actual worth I doubt you could ever enforce it very well.