Transport - Towing

Doublethyme

Visit site
Hi, I am looking to sort out transport for my horse, I am really not sure what to do, money is tight as I am sure it is for all fo us! Ideally I would go for a lorry but I don't think this is viable! So the next option is a trailer, my problem is what to tow it with! Does anyone here tow with a Volvo V70 TDI? only reason I ask is my dad has a Volvo garage and has said that this will pull easily but my concern is whether it is legal, I have looked on the websites but it is all very confusing and no one really gives you a straight answer!

I would only be towing my horse but unfortuntely he is about 17hh and weights about 600kg! I would need a full size trailer obviously for him so would wight more.

Can anyone offer advise?!

Any help much appreciated...

_daisy_

Visit site
I think you may be pushing it as the towing capacity on the volvo is only 1.8 tonnes. I think most trailers are around the 1tonne mark so with your horse on board you wouldnt have much left for braking etc. I was advised to have a least 500kg less than the capacity you can tow to make sure you are ok with braking and pulling away.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Depending on the trailer you buy, & I would suggest a double, it could weigh anything from 860kg (Bateson Deauville) to around 1100 (Rice Beaufort) ulw. So add on the weight of your horse at about 600kg & your towing weight ill be anything from 1460kg - 1700kg.

Towing organisations normaly advise not to tow more than 85% of your vehicles weight & in this case your vehickle would need to be between 1680kg - 1955kg depending onnthe trailer chosen.

Check up with your father about the weight of the Volvo & what information Volvo give about towing weights. If you don't get it right you may end up having tyhe trailer pushing you down hills....& that is scarey!

Doublethyme

Visit site
This is really useful thanks...

If anyone else has any info please let me know, everything is much appreciated.

Caroline

hannahandteddy

Visit site
my dad used to pull our old VERY heavy trailor with some sort of volvo S70 i think (was quite an old one!) and had no trouble we had two well built ish ponies in it and never got stuck or anything anywhere! it pulled our ifor williams much more easily so depends what trailor you would be getting! sorry probably nor much use lol! we went everywhere and it coped fine! hope that helps but its not very useful as i havn't a clue about cars and i'm only 16 and havn't started driving yet lol!
tongue.gif