Transporting a horse

Rachael_jack

Visit site
How much would it roughly cost to transport a horse?
Would it be better to get him transported or to get him in lorry?
Would you reconmend do this?

This is from wales to suffolk!

Thanks
Rachael

ihatework

Visit site
I would probably ring around a few transporters for quotes for shared loads, not an ideal route as it's more cross country but I'm sure you'll find something.

Google Chaigley International Horse transport, I've used them in the past and they were great.

At a guess you'd probably be looking in the £200-300 bracket

foraday

Visit site
You need to go on to www.findhorsetransport.com

The horse will need its passport to travel.

The Legal Requirements

1 Operators Licence-either green (international) or blue (national only) discs usually displayed above the road fund licence. The discs have the operators licence number, expiry date, registration number of the lorry and the transporters company. You can check the validity of the licence number on www.vosa.gov.uk

2 DEFRA Licence-this is a licence given by DEFRA to show that we are competent at transporting horses. These licences will change on 5th January 2007 and you will be able to check the authenticity of the licences much easier, but for now you can check with your local DEFRA office www.defra.gov.uk

3 Hire and Reward Insurance-this is just a standard insurance required to transport for money-just like a taxi company has to insure for business use in case of an accident. This insures the lorry only and any third party vehicle-nothing else!!

4 Employers Liability Insurance-just as a shop has to have this so does a lorry. It insures you when you step on the lorry, any of your staff that travel with the horse etc.

5 Public Liability Insurance-this insures all equipment that you place on the lorry-such as tack, rugs, etc.

6 Care, Custody and Control Insurance-this insures horses on the lorry whilst in the care of the transporter.

CHECK WITH YOUR TRANSPORTER THAT THEY HAVE ALL 6 LEGAL REQUIREMENTS

ALL OF THESE DOCUMENTS MUST BY LAW BE CARRIED ON THE LORRY FOR CHECKING BY THE AUTHORITIES. A LEGAL TRANSPORTER WILL BE HAPPY TO SHOW YOU THESE DOCUMENTS.

YOU AND YOUR HORSE ARE AT RISK IF ANY ONE OF THE ABOVE ARE MISSING!

DO NOT USE THE TRANSPORTER!

beh

Visit site
We used Eric Gille if thats any good, he was very reasonable and gave a fab service
smile.gif
hope you dont mind me asking but why do you need info????????????

Kristine

Visit site
Ohh Lucy_spring you bought your horse very close to where I Live :p

Sorry *gets back to post*

I cost's us £60 a Weekend to hire a trailer but I guess you want a lorry

It's always something you can look into

jemima

Visit site
atacanter supply horse boxes from cambridgeshire (so not too far) at a cost of around £135 per day mid-week. And they are lovely boxes - 3.5 tonne so drive like a car.