Transporting small ponies

Gift Horse

Visit site
A friend wants to borrow my trailer to move his daughter's Shetland.

I use the trailer without a partition and cross tie, the trailer has bars front and back - my horse is 16.2.

I will move the bars down, but will this set up work for a little pony or is it best to reinstate the partition?

Friend is newish to owning Ponies and I've never moved a little pony.

Trailer is old ( 20+yrs ) Ifor 510 if that makes a difference

Many thanks

FfionWinnie

Visit site
It's not the partition so much as the height of the bars. Our mini's head was about bar height. He was a good traveller and I would tie him to the bar and he wouldn't move. Really depends on the pony.

Gift Horse

Visit site
It's not the partition so much as the height of the bars. Our mini's head was about bar height. He was a good traveller and I would tie him to the bar and he wouldn't move. Really depends on the pony.

Unfortunately I have never met the pony. I think I will dig out the partition so the owners can decide.

Thanks Ffion

Nappy Croc

Visit site
Yes we have lower height bars as they're over Shetland height. I'd say cross tied back in the partition would be safest if the bars are bigger than the pony height! Full width would be fine but quite hard to cross tie so they can't go under the bar but can still reach hay!

Fiona

Visit site
I've done both with and without partition for an 11th pony. Both were OK. Without partition, the pony stood sideways...

Fiona

Nappy Croc

Visit site
Those travelling loose what sort of jockey doors do you have? I'd worry about our IW one holding a pony who lent on it around a bend but maybe I don't give it enough faith!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Those travelling loose what sort of jockey doors do you have? I'd worry about our IW one holding a pony who lent on it around a bend but maybe I don't give it enough faith!
You are right to be be concerned. I have a 510 classic, with a single jockey door handle, which can always be opened from inside even if locked.

I never travel a horse loose in my trailer for this reason, as if the horse leans against the jockey door, it could open in transit. I have had extra low set breech and breast bar fittings put in for tiddlers, but although they are as low as poss (installed by an Ifor main dealer), they are still set too high for a Shettie.

Equi

Visit site
I have the two clips on the outside. If this is a concern, tie to the back. I always tie to the back if im not loose traveling.

EmmaC78

Visit site
I travel mini shetlands loose with the partition in but normally jam a bale of hay at the front to stop them going too far forward or leaning on the jockey door.