Travel advice needed!

Ang25

Visit site
New horse not traveling well in horsebox. Was hoping she'd get used to it but not getting any better. Had a lift off a friend in trailer stood as solid as a rock all way there and back! (Think it's traveling heringbone she's not liking)
Keeping thinking she'll get used to it but also thinking sell truck buy trailer. Anyone had similar problem or advise please?

nagblagger

Visit site
Does she have company in the lorry, or did she have company in friends trailer?
Have you sat in the back of your truck, empty, with someone else driving to see if there is a noise, rattle etc she may not like.
Could you move your partitions in the lorry so they are not so' herringbone angle'?
I presume the lorry is sound with solid floor and no fumes leaking in... just my initial thoughts

Ang25

Visit site
Does she have company in the lorry, or did she have company in friends trailer?
Have you sat in the back of your truck, empty, with someone else driving to see if there is a noise, rattle etc she may not like.
Could you move your partitions in the lorry so they are not so' herringbone angle'?
I presume the lorry is sound with solid floor and no fumes leaking in... just my initial thoughts
Floor solid nothing wrong with the truck as far as I can tell. Others travel in it ok. Now taken partition out as she kept trying to climb over it. Even if your not moved just wouldn't stand still get stressed. Did have company in trailer but it was a horse she'd never met before so wasn't sure what she'd be like! Loaded her first stood like a lamb while he was loaded back up. She was just so completely different to anything we've had around the horsebox with or without company. Thinking she's probably only ever been in a trailer till she came to me. Was hoping time and patience but thinking a trailer maybe less stressful for her and us!

nagblagger

Visit site
Has she enough room to spread her legs for balance?
How many trips has it been in the lorry, i presume she loads ok onto it?
Sorry for all the questions but just looking for clues.....

Ang25

Visit site
She has the whole of the back of the lorry. Stalled for two but taken partition out as she kept trying to climb over it! Loading is getting more of a issue that it was. Done properly 20 trips in it. Even tried giving her tea on it everyday for a week without moving. Just hard to know weather to keep trying and hoping she gets used to it or sell and buy a trailer. Put it on here to see if anyone had same problem and eventually they got better or it is just that they are happier in a trailer.

Britestar

Visit site
Friend is having the opposite problem. Horse hates travelling backwards, tried everything, trailer being absolutely trashed.
They are buying a lorry, as stands stock still in one.

nagblagger

Visit site
I think you have tried most things, your lorry days maybe over. Well done though, for thinking of your horse's well being.

Birker2020

Visit site
Friend is having the opposite problem. Horse hates travelling backwards, tried everything, trailer being absolutely trashed.
They are buying a lorry, as stands stock still in one.
I have the opposite problem, Lari has been in a horsebox belonging to a friend on journey home from where I bought him (managed to create a wonderful eyebrow of skinned hair over his eye during the journey although we have no idea how). This followed months later by a journey to and from the vets in the same horsebox and has been a bit wobbly on his legs both ways.

When he was taken to sales livery a couple of weeks ago in an Ivor Williams trailer he was stomping around quite a bit although it was a hot day we had both back doors shut but the vents at the front were open, he arrived dripping in sweat.

Partner said when he arrived from back from sales livery on Monday in a 3.5 tonne lorry he was completely chilled, not sweated at all although anxious to get off when he arrived. He had travelled backwards.

Ang25

Visit site
I have the opposite problem, Lari has been in a horsebox belonging to a friend on journey home from where I bought him (managed to create a wonderful eyebrow of skinned hair over his eye during the journey although we have no idea how). This followed months later by a journey to and from the vets in the same horsebox and has been a bit wobbly on his legs both ways.

When he was taken to sales livery a couple of weeks ago in an Ivor Williams trailer he was stomping around quite a bit although it was a hot day we had both back doors shut but the vents at the front were open, he arrived dripping in sweat.

Partner said when he arrived from back from sales livery on Monday in a 3.5 tonne lorry he was completely chilled, not sweated at all although anxious to get off when he arrived. He had travelled backwards.
When she first arrived she came in a 3.5t travel backwards 2+hr journey transport chap she was fine. Arrived nice and settled.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
One of mine will travel happily in a trailer or small horse box backwards or facing front but doesn't like sideways like in a large lorry.

I think sometimes they just will never like or get used to certain it's a bloody pain though.

Have you tried her with another horse?

Quigleyandme

Visit site
Maybe she is getting a better ride in the trailer because it is so much closer to the ground than the box or maybe she is getting too hot and there is better airflow in the trailer or she prefers being able to see out through the front window as she travels?

Ang25

Visit site
One of mine will travel happily in a trailer or small horse box backwards or facing front but doesn't like sideways like in a large lorry.

I think sometimes they just will never like or get used to certain it's a bloody pain though.

Have you tried her with another horse?
Been once in the lorry with another horse and good job it was a good one who wasn't bothered by her being a nightmare! Will have to get looking out for a trailer.

Visit site
Do you put boots on her? Many don't like not being able to feel where their legs are and maybe she just doesn't like the partitions and how they are built in the lorry?

Though to be fair it does sound like she just doesn't like being sideways. Some don't. It feels weird but forwards or backwards are fine.

Ang25

Visit site
Sometimes put boots on but not always. Doesn't seem to make any difference with or without.
I'm thinking it's the traveling sideways she just can't balance herself.
Going to try her a few more times in a friend's trailer if she's still traveling well in it going on the trailer hunt.

Ang25

Visit site
Yes she has had company in the lorry. Good job it was a horse that wasn't easily upset as was still the same as she was one her own!

Hannahgb

Visit site
Oh god ok. Only other one, have you tried her both sides of the lorry? We had one that panicked if he wasnt closest to the ramp. Travelled perfectly next to the ramp but threw himself all over the place if loaded anywhere else. came through the living at one point!

Visit site
New horse not traveling well in horsebox. Was hoping she'd get used to it but not getting any better. Had a lift off a friend in trailer stood as solid as a rock all way there and back! (Think it's traveling heringbone she's not liking)
Keeping thinking she'll get used to it but also thinking sell truck buy trailer. Anyone had similar problem or advise please?

Herringbone or Angle
loads are not in my opinion the best choice because if there is a problem with the first horse loaded you must unload others to get to it, plus a horse does not balance well no matter what others may say. Side-by-side load is far better as they allow easy access and better balance in the event of the vehicle braking. A trailer with rear loading and front off loading leads to a better traveling experience. Remembering height at the entrance should be seven feet clearance for adequate headroom.