Travel boots

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Any recommendations? Amber trashes boots within a couple of trips as she seems to struggle to balance in the trailer and steps on herself. TIA x

Shay

Visit site
If she struggles with boots are they really the best option for her? What types of boots have you tried? Is she easier in a more rigid style? Or something more flexible? Have you tried gamgee pads and bandages? What happens there? Is this an issue with balancing in a trailer - be that horse position or driving - or an issue with pads?

Ambers Echo

Visit site
I'm not sure what the problem is. She seems to travel ok. You can't feel or hear her and she's not sweated up. But her boots are shredded, i assume from her stepping on herself. So I need to buy something else and don't know what other options are out there that would protect her and last a bit longer.

11bluewolf

Visit site
I would try to find out what the issue is first, maybe look at using a camera to record her in the trailer or get someone in there with her for a short trip?

Ambers Echo

Visit site
I would try to find out what the issue is first, maybe look at using a camera to record her in the trailer or get someone in there with her for a short trip?

She has proprioceptive problems from an old neck injury and does not really know where her back legs are. Physio and I are working hard on this and it is improving but I assume her travelling issues are just another symptom of that.

Shay

Visit site
My worry would be - if she is shredding her boots might she shred herself instead? If this is only happening on the hinds and isn't something she can control because of her injury then she may not be able to control it when it is her skin and not boots she is catching. I would be wary of bandages for the same reason - if she starts to unravel one then not only might she hurt herself she might panic with the snake like mass at her feet.

Given what you have said about this being because of an injury my thought would be to opt for light weight but secure pads like the thermatex ones. Less clumpy than traditional travel boots but still more protective than ordinary boots. But they are really expensive and not something you want shredded first time out!

Could you borrow a camera as another poster has said and just check that this is because of limited proprioception?

Ambers Echo

Visit site
My worry would be - if she is shredding her boots might she shred herself instead? If this is only happening on the hinds and isn't something she can control because of her injury then she may not be able to control it when it is her skin and not boots she is catching.

Yes that's my worry.

Given what you have said about this being because of an injury my thought would be to opt for light weight but secure pads like the thermatex ones. Less clumpy than traditional travel boots but still more protective than ordinary boots. But they are really expensive and not something you want shredded first time out!

Thanks I'll have a look. I do think I need something more robust than bandages.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
The shires economy travel boots are soft and flexible. And cheap but good quality. Given her possible problem I'd want to keep putting leg protection on but would buy cheap enough to treat it like a consumable item. If she didnt have the issue I might try travelling without. But as it is I'd want something on her legs. Maybe neoprene turnout boots and over reach boots? So lighter weight and more close fitting then travel boots (less likely to get shreaded?) But still covering all skin. My worry with brushing over reach combo is the gap between and if she stood on herself there. Cos it would be just my luck for a horse of mine to do such a thing. :lol: You might have better luck than me! :lol:

Ambers Echo

Visit site
The shires economy travel boots are soft and flexible. And cheap but good quality. Given her possible problem I'd want to keep putting leg protection on but would buy cheap enough to treat it like a consumable item. If she didnt have the issue I might try travelling without. But as it is I'd want something on her legs. Maybe neoprene turnout boots and over reach boots? So lighter weight and more close fitting then travel boots (less likely to get shreaded?) But still covering all skin. My worry with brushing over reach combo is the gap between and if she stood on herself there. Cos it would be just my luck for a horse of mine to do such a thing. :lol: You might have better luck than me! :lol:

I travelled her without once for 5 minutes. She was all cut up on her back legs, bless her. So she does definitely needs something to protect them - at least until she learns where her legs are! She is 100% better under saddle - she actually has quite nifty footwork now in amongst lots of poles. But travelling is still a problem. There is a camera in the lorry. You can see her swaying and wobbling like she's been on the Malibu for the first 5 minutes. Then she finds her feet and balances herself the rest of the way. Till next time!

I'll try various options on and see what looks like the best combo that gives coverage without too much bulk. Thanks everyone.

lamlyn2012

Visit site
I like the polypads travelling boots. Soft and flexible but secure and protective. I've had mine for years though so the quality may have changed.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
How about trying some low boots- mine hate the long knee and hock protection types but just about cope with short Velcro wrap ones. Think mine are shires.

With you on this, much prefer short boots and knee and hock boots as it is much more protection for the joints than many of the all in one boots which so many slip down during travel leaving the knee or hock exposed. The knee boots can be re used in the winter or during the year to hack out with. (Though travel boots are not correct for riding but do the job anyway)

There are so many makes of travel boots which have no protection for the knee should the horse fall, when I get to SP Rides and glance into boxes on the way down to the entry, I see so many with their boots slipped down well below the knee.

Mark Todd ones are one of the few which are rigid and stay up, where as the softer bendy ones slip down.

One question why do people very rarely use poll guards??? when travelling, as I remember I saying in a movie when a horse hit it's head in a trailer on the upper beam and unfortunately died. * It only takes a little lick in the wrong place to kill horse* was the movies line.

My friend's horse split it's head or sliced its head down the centre about 8 inches and you could see it's bone.

Last edited:

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
These boots are fab and really robust. They also don't come all the way up the leg like regular travel boots and so are less irritating. Best of luck; it's stressful enough travelling them, let alone when they aren't the easiest.

http://www.bucas.com/product/34-boots-7/
Unless you use knee or hock boots, those joints are exposed if the horse falls as there is no protection.

claret09

Visit site
agree always use brushing boots. my boy hate travel boots. also ready to go once you get anywhere
I would try either bandages as mentioned above or a set of brushing boots all round. These would give the protection but not the 'clumpiness' of travel boots.