Travel rugs

Shoei

Visit site
Now this cold weather has got me thinking.

I'm travelling more and more, sometimes over two hours away. My trailer is well ventilated as it has no top doors.

I generally travel my Gelderlander naked sometimes a cotton sheet but I can't decide if I'm better travelling him in a rug and if so which.

He is fully clipped and whilst he obviously uses muscles to balance, he can be stood on board a while before I unload and what if I get stuck in traffic. Would I be better with a thermatex type rug that would whick away and moisture and keep him warm and dry so he doesn't get a chill?

I just wondered what you all did?

Thanks
Shoei

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
My 3.5t is fairly cool when on the move so my clipped ones generally wear a Back on Track mesh rug. When we arrive, if I'm not unloading straight away then I throw a thermatex on.
I have fairly hot horses so a thermatex is a bit too warm when on the move other than on very cold days. But I always have it ready when they are standing around.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I've got a wool travel rug, but thats only for really cold days or when standing at the trailer. Otherwise she is fine in a fleece. Shes fully clipped, legs the lot and I've got no top doors either!

Starzaan

Visit site
I wouldn’t be without my pile of thermatex rugs. I love them. They last forever (I have one that is 17 years old, and still good!) and are the best for wicking. 😊

WelshD

Visit site
I use the Lemieux version of a thermatex type rug.

Thermatex do a really nice lightweight rug that is still wicking but thinner than the traditional thermatex which is a lovely rug

HorsesRule2009

Visit site
All our hunters travel in thermatex through nov/dec/Jan and Feb and May have them on before that if its cold. We travel up to 7 on the wagon sometimes and they'll still have thermatex on.
All are fully clipped

Goldenstar

Visit site
In the trailer I would use a thermatex in your situation and take another rug with you
I also have those thick Rambo fleeces for when it’s very cold the two layers ones and comfort zones with hoods as well .
I keep a thick wool rug in the lorry for emergency’s and various fleeces and thermatexs for layering .
If I needed to buy one rig for travelling I would buy a thermatex you need to buy one size smaller than usual .

Sealine

Visit site
My horse if fully clipped and when travelling by trailer for hunting in winter I use my Thermatex equivalent which is an double thickness fleece Weatherbeeta.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I’ve got a variety of rugs suitable for travel, but today I travelled my warm trace clipped sports horse mare in her 100g turnout rug - the weather is evil, with a vicious northeasterly wind. I was going to put her Back on Track mesh rug on, but changed my mind. Right decision in the conditions.

Trailer with top rear doors open.