Travel sick horse???

fairhill

Visit site
I haven't got my own transport so rarely travel my horses, but hired a trailer (ifor 505) to drop my two horses off at a local show with the intention of hacking back (6 miles). However, my youngster had her stubborn head on and refused to load (stood with two front feet on ramp for half hour) before we gave up and just took the other. She's a tight squeeze in the 505 and the breech bar at the back is too short for her, so we just use the ramp to keep her in. She was happy unloading, and tucked into her haynet as soon as she was off the ramp.

A friend on our yard was also at the show, so gave me a lift back in her ifor 510 - so the trailer is a bit longer and wider, and you'd think better for her... However, as soon as she was off she stood with her head really low on the concrete, and wouldn't move for 5 mins (or more importantly eat!).

So my question to you experienced lot is - do horses get travel sick? And is there anything I can do in the future to help her???

fairhill

Visit site
She loads first time and walks straight up the ramp, and is only ever sweaty where her sides have pressed against the plastic covering of partitions (she's a wide load!).

I was actually more interested in why she travelled to the show and unloaded normally, but on her return seemed to need a few minutes to find her legs again, despite being in a larger trailer, which is theoretically better for her to balance in.
I'm not sure how I could use NH principles to help with that?

Louby

Visit site
Oh dont say that, Ive decided to sell my 505 to get a 510 or a cheap lorry (dream!!) My boy just fits in the 505 but hes scared stiff, weve never even left the yard yet but as hes so relaxed in a lorry Im wondering if the bigger trailer will make him feel less confined? Hubby is at the end of his tether about it all. Now Im wondering whether the 510 will make any difference.