Traveling infoal mares

mynutmeg

Visit site
youngest for showing would be about 4 weeks, I'd be inclined not to travel without very good reason much before then

Alec Swan

Visit site
With care and thought, at any time. 10 day old foals are travelled with their dams on a regular basis. The fact that the mare's in foal again, won't make a jot of difference.

Alec.

Alec Swan

Visit site
Its more to do with the mare being in foal again, ie when is ok to transport without risk of abortion?

The system that the mare employes has it's first priority as the foal that she's feeding. Trust me now, there is no risk attached to the foal that she's carrying nor abortion because she's been travelled. £million TB mares are travelled in foal, daily and without risk. Fear not! :)

Alec.

minmax

Visit site
Cheers, Ive travelled a mare at about 40 odd days for a scan, she carried fine but this is moving to a new place. If I needed to wait I would but planning on moving one at about 30 days

Alec Swan

Visit site
Whilst the foal has come as a surprise maybe, there are many mares which have been hunted and raced too, in foal and most from the start of pregnancy, through to quite late, …. many!

Your mare's only in foal, she isn't unwell!! No need for cotton wool! She'll be fine, I'm sure. :) Has she been scanned and tested positive?

Alec.

honetpot

Visit site
Crumbs, mares travel back from stud after they have been scanned in foal after 15 days all the time.
I would think as long as its not too hot, the foal is well bonded with mum and mum is not stressed by travelling it would be fine. I would travel loose in a straw bed and it will probably kip.

popsdosh

Visit site
TB mares are routinely moved with 24 hr old foals in the breeding season. As for mares aborting due to travel its an urban myth some like to perpetuate and are usually people with no breeding experience at all. Pregnancy is natural not an illness . Many TB mares are racing whilst pregnant as it enhances performance of many . Not just confined to horses either many olympic medal winners have also used the legal performance boost method .