Traveller colt at asda

Equi

Visit site
Its on FB recently, not nice viewing. RSPCA took the colt to a vet and then released it back to owner now the mob is out and going to go "get" him. I assume they will attempt to buy him and the charity will foot that bill. So im in two minds about that. But i do hope the little thing gets away from the owners - it was described as so young its testicles have not even dropped yet. Sad part is they will just get another..

https://metro.co.uk/2019/04/18/inve...OPi0j_ccvyBreLOtU4Gk0RQlkSOEJAxEdBjdq8xi7qO7A

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Yes, saw it on fb the other night. Very, very sad viewing. The RSPCA won’t do anything.

Kudos to the girls though. They remained polite throughout.

Poor little scrap.

Reactions: TPO

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Presumably that's how it ended up at the vets as I missed that bit happening. But tf the vet says it's ok they don't have the choice though do they?

Equi

Visit site
Presumably that's how it ended up at the vets as I missed that bit happening. But tf the vet says it's ok they don't have the choice though do they?
Problem is they can only go on what they see in front of them. A young horse with a sore on his head (that can happen to any horse) a few bit marks (again can happen to any horse, is not great horsemanship but hardly illegal) and he is sound and yes a little slender, but a fit healthy animal for all intents. The implications are his moral treatment which a vet doesn't really have the position to comment on having not seen any of it happen. The RSPCA have videos etc as evidence of treatment but chose not to act.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I thought they couldn't seize without a vets say so though? That was the issue with carrot and spud... the attending vet said they were just old...

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
It was a pathetically sad sight, that’s my local retail park, poor pony reared up, fell under a caravan front, then the gypsy tried pulling it out with its bridle and tail,, it just lay there exhausted ..then it was taken to Leahust equine hospital..

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
It was a pathetically sad sight, that’s my local retail park, poor pony reared up, fell under a caravan front, then the gypsy tried pulling it out with its bridle and tail,, it just lay there exhausted ..then it was taken to Leahust equine hospital..

Not before being put in a new trap and trotted.

Equi

Visit site
I thought they couldn't seize without a vets say so though? That was the issue with carrot and spud... the attending vet said they were just old...
As far as i know they took it just to see the vet due to the sores, which a local charity paid the bill for (£750 apparently...) but the horse was never "seized" or signed over and owners demanded £2000 for him which obviously wasn't going to be paid. I think they maybe agreed to let him go to the vet thinking they would get money for him from either the charity, a random person or the RSPCA.

scats

Visit site
This isn’t far from from me, I visit this retail park every couple of weeks. It’s been all over social media these last few days.
I can’t even think about it without feeling horribly upset. I’d have the poor thing in a heartbeat.

vmac66

Visit site
This is just down the road from me. There is uproar in both the horsey and non horsey community. The pony was tethered on Asda car park for several days. Asda cctv have footage of the pony being repeatedly punched in the head so hard he fell to the floor several times. The police and the rspca were notified by Asda but did nothing. The pony had no food or water. A member of the public bought a bucket from asda and gave him water. The pony was eventually taken to Leahurst yesterday afternoon where he received treatment. The lady from the rescue that has become involved paid the bill. The travellers turned up this afternoon and took the pony back. The travellers have now moved on. Sorry for the long post but feelings about the pony are running very high locally at the moment.

Equi

Visit site
If even a big name like Asda can't get anything done what hope do mere people have :/

I don't really have any knowledge or experience with the travelling community as we don't tend to have them about here much, but how do they (as in the bad ones like this, not the good law abiding ones) just keep getting away with everything :(

Reactions: TPO

vmac66

Visit site
For updates on pony have a look at Whispering willows rescue on FB. The lady from there is doing everything she can to get the pony to a safe place.

stormox

Visit site
Well I hope they don't pay money to those people to get him. It will only encourage them to treat more unfortunate creatures in the same way in the hope of getting a couple of grand rather than the couple of hundred tops a yearling would usually fetch.
Could they not get him seized on no passport? Or no chip?

Lammy

Visit site
Honestly how have they not been arrested on animal cruelty charges if there’s footage? That’s quite the damming evidence with or without veterinary say so.

I hate to tar people with the same brush but a lot of people in the traveller community really do just get away with murder. This poor pony, I’d never advocate anyone to just take something but I wish someone could just smuggle him out in the night.

Equi

Visit site
Could they not get him seized on no passport? Or no chip?
No because thats not a welfare concern. It would be DEFRA that deal with any of that, and i have it on good authority they class unpassported horses as extremely low on their priorities.

paddi22

Visit site
I just felt sick watching it. i have a sulkie racer from a charity and the thought of how young they are worked just makes me sick. They are such sensitive genuine hardy horses and try so hard. it is heartbreaking that a lot of them have this kind of life.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
No because thats not a welfare concern. It would be DEFRA that deal with any of that, and i have it on good authority they class unpassported horses as extremely low on their priorities.
Well yes... the amount they are spending on keeping PIOs on their toes leaves nothing for these sorts of cases.

It’s embarrassing really that the vets have corroborated the travellers case here. Are they scared or summat?

Equi

Visit site
Quite a large well known vets in this case, i doubt they are scared..just can't quite give objective statement that the horse is in a bad way.

Equi

Visit site
Currently at 6k demand now and rescue say they have the money to pay that :/ very bad way of going.

scats

Visit site
I can’t figure out what’s going on now. Im following the charity’s Facebook page but it’s descended into arguments amongst a lot of the followers as emotions are running so high. I think the travellers have disappeared with the pony and although the lady from the charity is in contact by phone, they are basically laughing in her face at the situation.

As much as it breaks my heart, buying the pony from them, particularly for a ridiculous sum, will just subject another or several others to the same misery. It’s a never-ending cycle of abuse.

I can’t even begin to describe how much I despise some members of the human race.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Surely the lady at the charity will see sense? It’s a terrible case, but even if the price is agreed, it’s unlikely the travellers will turn up with the right pony or turn up at all. I absolutely wouldn’t engage with them for any reason, they’ll just keep doing it if they get paid to basically abuse an animal.

The last time we had anything to do with traveller ponies, they were ‘rescued’ from a field and brought to our yard, quickly, no involvement with the owners who had abandoned them, pretty much.