Travelling a new pony

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Two questions: Fingers crossed we are collecting a pony next weekend and satnav says the journey is about 2hrs 30mins. 13hd pony in a 3.5 box, would you stop halfway to offer water? Also, given that we will have to stop in a services area would you get the pony off to walk it if you could find a quiet spot, or just let it stretch its head in the lorry, offer water and set off again. Secondly, can you get insurance simply to cover the journey just in case anything happens. Obviously lorry is insured but can you cover against the pony hurting itself, god forbid!!

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Thanks both..as you can tell Ive never travelled a horse or pony for more than about an hour before. We have a decent camera so can keep watch but wasnt sure whether with it being a smaller box we ought to offer him a break to stretch his legs, although obviously for him, its got plenty of room

rara007

Visit site
We stop approx every 4 hours. Or if we need to fill up with fuel and only unload once we’re there or at travel stables! Good luck ?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I would not stop if there is a camera and he is OK. No way would I offload.

You can insure as from now, for accidental injury, even if he is not currently yours. Most insurance companies give you 14 days to cancel the policy if you decide you don't want insurance after all.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Don't unload whatever you do, the last thing you want is the pony refusing to go back in the box. Stop and check the pony if you feel you should but the journey really isn't very long so provided the pony has travelled before he'll take it in his stride.
...and if the pony hasn't travelled much before, the last thing you want to do is be unloading and disrupting the calm.