Travelling a single pony in a double trailer

Tarragon

Visit site
Hi All,
I have a pony-sized double cheval liberte trailer, and I have the option of travelling with the partition in place, without the partition at all and with full-width breast and breeching bars, or having the partition swung to one side at the rear and secured and have the full-width breeching bar just at the back.
I would prefer to let the pony have more space if he is travelling on his own and, as it is quite tricky to take the partition out and I sometimes have to take 2 ponies, my preferred option would be to just swing the partition over if I was just taking one pony, but the partition can only go to the right, so that the pony's head would be secured on the left hand side of the trailer, and not behind the driver which is normally advised. I am pretty sure that the pony would choose to travel at a diagonal if he could.
What would you lot advise me to do? I already own the full-width bars so that isn't an issue.

canteron

Visit site
I always do this - the horses can then find their own balance.
Cross tie so they can stand in the middle and while you want to give their head room to move don’t leave the ties so loose they can look out the back. (If case you have to break sharply).
I also close half of the back upper doors (ie on the driver side) to protect them from a ‘whoosh’ if you are overtaken!

teddypops

Visit site
I would just take partition out if you already have the breast and breech bars to put in. My pony travels with no partition and she stands diagonally with her head at the right and her bum to the left.

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
I have never travelled leaving the partion swung to one side. Always have full bars in both the front and rear and cross tie. Ours prefers to travel on a diagonal and usually has his head driver side and bum passenger side.

mustardsmum

Visit site
Bear in mind, all breach bars should be in place - they stabilise the box and give it strength. This is why you should always use a full width breech bars if no partition. So leaving back partition open is possibly not a good idea.

hobo

Visit site
I travel with the partition to one side I use a full length back bar and tie the partition to the back bar so it does not bounce or rattle. I think my mare likes having the narrow bit at the front but likes to spread her legs at the back when going round left hand turns.

Tarragon

Visit site
Just to confirm that all breech bars will be in place. It was just the question of whether it was OK to have two single breech bars at the front and one full width at the back and having the partition secured to one side (as per Hobo's post). I just couldn't decide if the fact that the partition swings to the right (presumably because the trailer is Continental) rather than left would mean that it wasn't a good idea.
Thank you for all your answers. I am still mulling it through.