Travelling advice please

Louby

Visit site
A what would you do please :)
I have a 3 yr old pony, he travelled hours to us last year in a 3.5t, he moved stables in a 3.5t, I was told he pawed a bit, then settled.
I have a 7.5t, we took him for his first ever trip in it, just a short 15 min journey and he neighed the whole way and was a bit unsettled, came off a bit sweaty but loaded back on it straight away. Went to his first show last week, he loaded and travelled much better, did neigh.... a lot!! a few stamps but ok really, behaved impeccably at the show but on the way home he wasnt happy!! Started before we even set off, sent hubby to check him and he said he was going side to side, as if he couldnt balance, was stomping, neighing and was sweaty when we got back, yet loaded again straight away.

Its made me a bit nervous of our next time tbh. Im a firm believer of giving them a bit more room, but non horsey hubby said it was if he had too much room and needed to learn on the partitions. He didnt have loads of room, just not penned in. It was almost like he was having a strop tbh.

What would you do?

Id love to go back to a 3.5t but sold that not long before we got him, as my larger mare and I prefered a 7.5t. I sadly lost her not long after, and now just have the pony. Im looking at going back to a 3.5t or trailer as this is just too big for a small pony but until I advertise this, Im stuck with a 7.5t, plus the prices have gone crazy!!

Louby

Visit site
I have found that most horses like to be 'held in so they can kean on the partitions, I have met exceptions too but they have been few
Thank you, we will try him tighter, I just always remember reading taking the partition out for dodgy travellers in a trailer, and its kind of stuck.

fiestiemaestie

Visit site
Actually they scrabble worse etc is the partitions are too close trying to lean. Give as big a space as possible and leave loose ideally as they will find how they want to travel.

Birker2020

Visit site
I have found that most horses like to be 'held in so they can kean on the partitions, I have met exceptions too but they have been few
I disagree with this, horses like humans spread their legs to keep their balance. When you are standing on a bus and its moving you spread your legs you don't keep them close together. They also use their head and necks to balance so its imperative you don't tie them too tightly too.

We were in this predicament many moons ago when my first horse in my fairly new trailer (1996) was unable to keep his balance and his bum kept disappearing behind the tailgate when Mum and Dad followed behind in the car - it was obvious he was slipping rather badly. The floor was damp from condensation that had trickled from the roof (warm horse very cold winter weather) and formed ice on the wooden floor.

Long story short Dad moved the breast bar forward, put rubber matting down and made the partition 3/4 x 1/4 and the horse travelled in the offside with the 3/4. Loads more room and never had an issue again, in fact none of them ever did.

mini_b

Visit site
Also - check that there isn’t anything loose/rattling or remotely scary in the back.
Another HHO-er had a similar problem so stood in the back of the wagon while OH drove around the field and worked out there was something in the back scaring the horse that they didn’t notice when vehicle was stationary.

Louby

Visit site
Thank you all, he has shavings down, the partitions arent to the floor so with the extra room he already has, hes plenty to spread his legs. He was making that much noise I sent hubby to check all was ok, he settled much better when he was with him. Obviously not in the back with him but he opened the living door to him. He said its not overly noisy in there, maybe Ive typically got one that prefers not to go side on, story of my life lol. He did say its awful though as the trees and hedges on the country lanes that can be seen through the windows make it seem very closed in as we are passing. He comes off calm but slightly sweaty and reloads happily. I know you shouldnt humanise animals but he started as soon as we shut him in to go home and I do think he was having a bit of a strop as he loved it at the show! I just wish there was another pony we could borrow to take him out with, to gain a bit of confidence.
I just feel nervous now of next time and I have to get to the point of being self sufficient.

AnShanDan

Visit site
Agree that ime it's more likely to be lack of space than too much. It seems a bit counter intuitive because they seem to be wanting to lean on the partitions and then scramble, but making the space bigger lets them balance themselves.

sport horse

Visit site
I travel a lot of young horses. I find it best to take an older horse that I know will stand quietly as a companion. If you have a 7.5 ton lorry you should have room - you just have to find a suitable friend. Horses are great copiers and they copy good behaviour as well as bad.