Travelling an old shetland for 24 hours ?

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
We are moving back from France to northern England next year. My old rescue shetland Pepsi , 33, will obviously be travelling ( probably by Parkers Int). But I'm so worried, he has on off arthritis, controlled with Devils Claw. I believe I will up this to bute, and maybe a 24 hour painkiller injection. Now I'm thinking about boots and maybe knee bandages, and hoof boots ??? Help, I'm a mess, I love him so much. Alliereceived_260557242903523.jpeg

Last edited:

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
If you are using Parker’s please don't worry. The international lorries are temperature controlled and sprung like a well fathered mattress. They don’t travel continuously for 24 hours and have overnight stops in nice stables where they get hay and water. DP has paper thin soles and came off the lorry as sound as could be but if you are concerned hoof boots and pads might help but personally I would just leave him naked.

meleeka

Visit site
Is he used to wearing boots or bandages? I’d speak to the transporter if you are worried, they’ll probably have dealt with older horses loads, although perhaps not shetlands.

He’ll be in safe hands I’m sure. A friend had them bring one from Holland and he didn’t even seem tired when he came off the lorry. It really is first class travel.

Lucky Snowball

Visit site
You could practice letting him move and stand in travel bandages - also the hoof boots prior to the trip. Personally I wouldn't use hoof boots in case he trips unloading. Knee boots or pad the bandages so it extends over the knees. Definitely some bute for a few days before and I think he will be fine. Try not to worry. Hope it goes well.

Visit site
I wouldn't put boots of any kind on. Shetlands are hairy, hot little creatures. I would give him some bute though and ask the transporters to give him some in a small feed at their stop over/s. He won't be on the truck for 24 hours, it will take 2 or 3 days for him to get from A to B and he will be exceptionally well looked after in the process.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
If you are using Parker’s please don't worry. The international lorries are temperature controlled and sprung like a well fathered mattress. They don’t travel continuously for 24 hours and have overnight stops in nice stables where they get hay and water. DP has paper thin soles and came off the lorry as sound as could be but if you are concerned hoof boots and pads might help but personally I would just leave him naked.
Thankyou, he will be booted and suited!, or naked, depending on what Parkers advise. You've put my mind at rest x

Last edited:

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
I wouldn't put boots of any kind on. Shetlands are hairy, hot little creatures. I would give him some bute though and ask the transporters to give him some in a small feed at their stop over/s. He won't be on the truck for 24 hours, it will take 2 or 3 days for him to get from A to B and he will be exceptionally well looked after in the process.
Thankyou x

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
You could practice letting him move and stand in travel bandages - also the hoof boots prior to the trip. Personally I wouldn't use hoof boots in case he trips unloading. Knee boots or pad the bandages so it extends over the knees. Definitely some bute for a few days before and I think he will be fine. Try not to worry. Hope it goes well.
Thankyou x

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Is he used to wearing boots or bandages? I’d speak to the transporter if you are worried, they’ll probably have dealt with older horses loads, although perhaps not shetlands.

He’ll be in safe hands I’m sure. A friend had them bring one from Holland and he didn’t even seem tired when he came off the lorry. It really is first class travel.
Thankyou x

Parrotperson

Visit site
no boots. he'll get far too hot. bear in mind he's bred to survive Shetland winters! And get them to give him some Bute in an evening feed when they stop.

onlytheponely

Visit site
Honestly, I expect so, they prefer them naked. Just give them a call and ask them, then at least you know what to prepare for.

I would also be getting him out in a trailer a few times to assess how his balance is before signing him up for such a long journey. The little ones don't fit so well into the stalls so don't have the benefit of the leaning support that the bigger ones have from not having so much room.
I hope you don't mind me being so blunt but he's an old boy and it might be best to rule out any basic balance issues beforehand.

Visit site
He will be fine naked. As ive said on your other thread a wee while ago, my little lad travelled from northern UK to Denmark in 2020, he was 31 at the time. Parkers set the wagon up depending on their needs, with stallion partitions that could be configured to whatever was needed. They rang before picking up to ask how I would like the partitions arranged, so the lorry could arrive ready.

My Dales x mare was in a partition at the back, my 31yr old in a square area he could walk around in (untied) and my two minis were in a similar square area untied. They travelled perfectly, there was tons of room for the smaller ones to lie down if they wanted to. I made up feeds dry in freezer bags labelled and they just emptied the feeds into their buckets for breakfasts and dinners. They organised soaked hay too.

Could you do the same and make the feeds up and Bute added for your wee one.

I honestly wouldn’t worry, Parkers are exceptionally good and the care they took of my four was spot on. My 31yr old was treated like a king (he’s very nervy of strangers and can be tricky and it was clear they had taken exception care with him as he was calm and happily stepped off the lorry like it was nothing.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
He will be fine naked. As ive said on your other thread a wee while ago, my little lad travelled from northern UK to Denmark in 2020, he was 31 at the time. Parkers set the wagon up depending on their needs, with stallion partitions that could be configured to whatever was needed. They rang before picking up to ask how I would like the partitions arranged, so the lorry could arrive ready.

My Dales x mare was in a partition at the back, my 31yr old in a square area he could walk around in (untied) and my two minis were in a similar square area untied. They travelled perfectly, there was tons of room for the smaller ones to lie down if they wanted to. I made up feeds dry in freezer bags labelled and they just emptied the feeds into their buckets for breakfasts and dinners. They organised soaked hay too.

I honestly wouldn’t worry, Parkers are exceptionally good and the care they took of my four was spot on. My 31yr old was treated like a king (he’s very nervy of strangers and can be tricky and it was clear they had taken exception care with him as he was calm and happily stepped off the lorry like it was nothing.
Omg thankyou! I've been telling hubby of my relief over these posts!

Shysmum

www.youtube.com

Thankyou so much ?

Visit site
Omg thankyou! I've been telling hubby of my relief over these posts!

You‘re welcome. I think the worry about everything when you’re making a big move, is definitely worse than the event itself. We drove for 23hrs with the horse trailer full of our last few bits and with our cat and I wished I’d have been a horse and gone with Parkers ?.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Parkers can partition their boxes to give him a loosebox area so he will be able to move and turn around and lie down.

We used to drive for them, they are super to deal with and very professional, so don't worry about it and chat with them if you're at all concerned.

Definitely no boots, bandages or rugs.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Parkers can partition their boxes to give him a loosebox area so he will be able to move and turn around and lie down.

We used to drive for them, they are super to deal with and very professional, so don't worry about it and chat with them if you're at all concerned.

Definitely no boots, bandages or rugs.
Thankyou !

Winters100

Visit site
I used Parkers to transport UK to Hungary. Horses came off the lorry as if they had been in it for 10 minutes. You are doing the best you can using a professional company with a first class reputation, so don't worry too much.