travelling and pooing

Shavings

Visit site
please bear with me on this one guys!

every time chance is loaded (lorry or trailer) before the door are even closed he has a poo (not runny and of normal size!)

he wears a tail guard for travelling (has tried bandages)

however with out fail when we get to where we are going (be it 5 mins down the road or 30 mins!)

by the time we get there his back legs are brown, his tail is horrible and the top of his tail (dock) is all sticking up from the tail guard!!

on Tuesday he went to another yard for the dentist, though i would try with out a tail guard see if that was the issue.. NO! when we got there he has a lovely brown circle on his ass where he had pooed and leant on it!

any one any advice? when we do go to our shows and dressage i dont want to have to bath the back end of him every time!!

Ps the poo he does before the doors close is always removed!)

Lillian_paddington

Visit site
Tail guard with a tail bag, try fastening it a little tighter maybe to stop it coming down. I’m assuming it’s elasticated so unless you’re really pulling it tight I doubt it’ll do any damage. Does he wear travel boots? Some come up a bit higher than you’d do travel bandages so that could help - lessens the area exposed to poo! Plus travelling him in a rug with a tail flap on would protect the tail guard a bit more, might help it stay in place. Most fleeces and travel rugs don’t have a tail flap though so maybe just an idea for the winter when it’s cold enough to put him in a stable rug for travelling. This is what I’ve done with mine, he’s super chilled travelling and doesn’t sweat up at all so he gets a thicker rug.
I do sympathise though, I have a grey who absolutely must do two poos in between realising he’s going on the trailer and arriving. Quite often he poos on the back bar of the trailer and then gets his bum covered in it... gross horse!

bouncing_ball

Visit site
I am slightly confused about the problem. My horse doesnt wear a tail guard or travel boots. He often poos in lorry before I have shut the partition, and by the time we arrive has typically done 2 more in the lorry. But it just lands on the floor, it doesnt go on back wall or his legs or tail? How is it not able to land on the floor, and why is it landing on his legs and tail and he is able to sit on it?

Shay

Visit site
I am slightly confused about the problem. My horse doesnt wear a tail guard or travel boots. He often poos in lorry before I have shut the partition, and by the time we arrive has typically done 2 more in the lorry. But it just lands on the floor, it doesnt go on back wall or his legs or tail? How is it not able to land on the floor, and why is it landing on his legs and tail and he is able to sit on it?

If the horse sits on the back bar of the trailer or braces on the back wall of the lorry any poo will squash onto the quarters. Its more common in trailers and front or rear facing lorries - less so in side travel lorries as horses don't brace on their backsides when travelling sideways.

Lillian_paddington

Visit site
I don’t know about others but mine travels in a trailer, there’s a back bar that he sometimes leans against. I think he finds it easier to get to his haynet as there is plenty of space for him otherwise (and my mum who tows us is the most careful driver so it’s not like he’s getting bumped around in the trailer!). He doesn’t sit on the bar but if he poos when he’s right at the back of the trailer it falls on to the back bar. Then when he leans on it the poo goes on to his bum

Shavings

Visit site
You can get a quarter guard. The tail bag will keep the tail clean but will do nothing for the marks on his backside. A guard will. Like this https://www.edgemere.co.uk/new-equi...MIjp6joeyD6AIVgvdRCh2OEwsbEAQYAiABEgJxbfD_BwE
other retailers are available - this just happened to be the first one which came up.

Stupid question but if i buy a quarter guard would you still put a tail guard on to? so quarter guard against then back side, tail guard over tail but then tie the quarter guard ties over the tail guard?

JFTDWS

Visit site
In my experience, there is bugger all to fix this issue completely and you're going to spend your life washing shit stains off your horse's arse. Sorry :(

Reactions: RHM

Shavings

Visit site
In my experience, there is bugger all to fix this issue completely and you're going to spend your life washing shit stains off your horse's arse. Sorry :(

You do have such a beautiful way with words ;)

best start stocking up on stain removed and possible one of those portable hot washes... (any one recommend me one of those?!)