travelling boots on horses with thick feathers?

During the night do you do any of the following?

• Total voters

Irishcobs

Visit site
My two both have heavy feather. I only boot to keep them clean for a show/dressage. Every other time they travel without anything on their legs as their feathers act like boots anyway.
I have a set of WW heavy hunter size from my mare who has 10" of bone and lots of feather.
They are both very good travellers.

fairhill

Visit site
I use bandages over gamgee for travelling our heavy horse, or some very soft boots that wrap round her legs, depending on whether the other mare is going with her. Normal travel boots don't fit her! I'd rather she had some extra protection though in case of accidents.

1275gta

Visit site
Don't use anything on any of ours. We have never had any problems.

There seem to be more problems caused by travel boots.

If I had to I would bandage, I would not use travel boots.

Storminateacup

2nd star on the right and straight on 'til morning
Visit site
Yes that's how I feel, but medium/ cob boots are too small and horse /large are too long. Bandages come undone, so more worries, plus we have thick mud everywhere. Think I will just have to put overreach boots on back and front and take a chance that the feathers do the job.
Must say having a horse with feathers is the best thing to give leg protection throughout the winter.
No mud fever or sore heels, no cuts or scratches from brambles etc.
Jacks heel are clean and dry and warm right inside all that fur, they do a better job than any mud fever preparation did on my fine legged horses.
Another bonus with a hairy cob!
grin.gif

Native Speaker

Visit site
I used to put boots on my cob, but he always kicked them off-not good when in the lorry or trailer and underway
frown.gif
I decided not to put boots on him when I exported him to mainland europe. He would have been very warm with all that hair, with travelling boots on top, so I left the boots off. He arrived safe and sound, with no problems.
smile.gif

Theresa_F

Visit site
I use stable wraps when travelling Chancer to shows to keep his feather clean. On the way home I often do not put them back on, especially if it is warm.

Both my hairies are not daft, load and travel fine and the feather offers protection.

I also don't use boots for schooling, jumping and XC unless ground is hard or the jumps are over 2'6. My chaps have sturdy strong legs and again feather offers protection against knocks.

samsara

New User
Visit site
ive just got a cob with thick feathers and the boots i took to put on him didnt fit (and they were FULL) so he had nothing on and was fine!
smile.gif