Travelling help..helppppp

Ragbea

Visit site
I have a pony who travels ok going out but on return journey will leap about an kick the wall, sounds like a wild rhino at times! Has plenty of space, bedding to try to help muffle the sound and food.
Its a rear facing 3.5 tn, had floor an side wall redone ( thank god) so its as safe as can be, but very worried about horse injuring himself.
He is happy on the outward journey, always kicks off on the way back! Considering giving up as don't see how can be resolved, have tried partitions narrower an slightly diagonal but is the same. Doesn't lean or scramble up the walls just leaps forward an kicks out then repeats will then stop for a few minutes before starting again.
Has anyone else had a horse who has been the same?ok going but nightmare travelling back?
Physio an chiropractor have seen him, no problems.
Any advise or things to try? Do calming cookies or confident eq work?

Carrottom

Visit site
What sort of distance are you travelling and how long before coming back.
I would be tempted to try a couple of short trips without stopping just coming home. Then a short trip to somewhere safe to unload, walk around and reload to see if this caused the same behaviour.

Ragbea

Visit site
What sort of distance are you travelling and how long before coming back.
I would be tempted to try a couple of short trips without stopping just coming home. Then a short trip to somewhere safe to unload, walk around and reload to see if this caused the same behaviour.
10/15 min journey each way, half hour/40 mins riding is enjoy to cause this behaviour

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Well that's a strange one! I would be tempted to sedate him coming home for a few journeys and see what happened after that. Take the food out though.

Ragbea

Visit site
Well that's a strange one! I would be tempted to sedate him coming home for a few journeys and see what happened after that. Take the food out though.
Thanks yes thats my next plan! Im going to put him on magnesium oxide daily then try magic instant syringes for travelling! Dont want to make him too dopey so he cant stand!

SOS

Visit site
I’d say either sore from a physical issue that gets worse with exercise, too hot after work (3.5t boxes can be very warm) or is mentally wound up. So agree perhaps sedating etc may be worth while but doesn’t work that well if their blood is up as the receptors are blocked. I’d be tempted to bute trial too!

ETA. Bute trial with vets consent

Ragbea

Visit site
I’d say either sore from a physical issue that gets worse with exercise, too hot after work (3.5t boxes can be very warm) or is mentally wound up. So agree perhaps sedating etc may be worth while but doesn’t work that well if their blood is up as the receptors are blocked. I’d be tempted to bute trial too!

ETA. Bute trial with vets consent
Exactly my thoughts too on physical issue thats worse after exercise then being confined to a box an having to balance. No sign of lameness he always lates 60/70% dressage, but could be something travelling is hard on a horse i guess
Going to try magnesium then magic instant an see how that goes, Before bute trial.
Is will kick the stable walls when he fancy's, has done since a 6 yr old in previous homes he is now 13

Carrottom

Visit site
Exactly my thoughts too on physical issue thats worse after exercise then being confined to a box an having to balance. No sign of lameness he always lates 60/70% dressage, but could be something travelling is hard on a horse i guess
Going to try magnesium then magic instant an see how that goes, Before bute trial.
Is will kick the stable walls when he fancy's, has done since a 6 yr old in previous homes he is now 13
This was my thinking behind going somewhere and returning without riding.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Leaping forward in box an double barreling the wall
Do you travel on pillar reins?
I'd try this as a default, if necessary get 2 extra tie rings put in.
Hope you get this resolved.

(I've put service hobbles on a horse that did this, did the job, but you need to be v quick to react to these. I am not suggesting you do this)

Ragbea

Visit site
Do you travel on pillar reins?
I'd try this as a default, if necessary get 2 extra tie rings put in.
Hope you get this resolved.

(I've put service hobbles on a horse that did this, did the job, but you need to be v quick to react to these. I am not suggesting you do this)
Nope not cross tied, but i will try! I have never used hobbles an not something im comfortable doing as dnt know what im doing with them, think id rather give up travelling : (
Thank you

Sprig

Visit site
Have you tried a different box/trailer? It sounds like he is sore to me but he might just be finding rear facing difficult, not all horses like it.

Birker2020

Visit site
Maybe he is excited coming home. Does he have a feed waiting for him, or a nice stable with a warm bed and a nice big net of hay?

Maybe its anticipation and just excitement rather than something that's irritating him.

Ragbea

Visit site
Maybe he is excited coming home. Does he have a feed waiting for him, or a nice stable with a warm bed and a nice big net of hay?

Maybe its anticipation and just excitement rather than something that's irritating him.
He always has a nice bed an plenty of food waiting for him in his stable! He is always ready to come in from the field as he knows he has good stuff waiting for him in his stable! Spoilt brat lol

MagicMelon

Visit site
Ive got one who thumps about most of the journey no matter which way we're going, I just try to ignore it and am hoping with time eventually she'll get used to it. If the horse isnt hurting itself, can you just keep persevering?

J&S

Visit site
Try giving him some Rescue Remedy. Just a couple of drops on a hollowed out carrot slice before you load and then a nother dose before driving off.

MissTyc

Visit site
My cob used to do this consistently - always on the way home and quite dramatic at times. I thought maybe hocks (tired after the activity), etc, but couldn't pin point anything. It got really bad and made me anxious travelling him. Then he had an injury that put him out of work for many months and now he doesn't really do it any more? The only difference is that he is not as fit as he was pre-injury and we don't hunt or event any more. So now I think that it was something metabolic i.e. muscle pain after his rides, as he also was prone to tying up after hunting if I wasn't careful. Now that he's less fit and less pushed he seems generally more comfortable in life. Or maybe it was the hocks or something else after all and it resolved while he was off work. Either way, you have my sympathy, it's very stressful.

Birker2020

Visit site
He always has a nice bed an plenty of food waiting for him in his stable! He is always ready to come in from the field as he knows he has good stuff waiting for him in his stable! Spoilt brat lol
I'd say you have your answer myself.
Same as my horse who going out hacking would sometimes walk out like she was on a funeral precession but as soon as we turned for home she was like Seabiscuit. ;)

If I made her turnaway from home or (heaven forbid) repeat the same hack in the same session she would keep trying to look behind her.
Never happened with other horses with her and she didn't do it every hack either. It was just now and then.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Hobbles work I sorted more than one with these you do need to use them in the stable first .
Does he need to pee ?
Sky is appalling if he needs a pee so we have taught him to pee in a skip .

Ragbea

Visit site
My cob used to do this consistently - always on the way home and quite dramatic at times. I thought maybe hocks (tired after the activity), etc, but couldn't pin point anything. It got really bad and made me anxious travelling him. Then he had an injury that put him out of work for many months and now he doesn't really do it any more? The only difference is that he is not as fit as he was pre-injury and we don't hunt or event any more. So now I think that it was something metabolic i.e. muscle pain after his rides, as he also was prone to tying up after hunting if I wasn't careful. Now that he's less fit and less pushed he seems generally more comfortable in life. Or maybe it was the hocks or something else after all and it resolved while he was off work. Either way, you have my sympathy, it's very stressful.
Thank you! Il try a few more times!