travelling horse in the dark

Marquire

Visit site
I was at a stressage competition yesterday and as we've only moved up to novice in the last few months I've never had to drive the lorry home in the dark before.

I put on my interior lights to load GB and travelled home with the lights still on the living and horse area. Is this correct or should I have travelled him with the lights off? I wasn't sure but thought he'd be happier in the lights on.

I remember someone posting something about being stopped by the police because of the interior lights a few weeks back but can't remember if it was because the lights were on or off.

Can anyone shed some light on this (no pun intended).

Marie

Tempi

Visit site
we never travel with interior lights on, and have never been stopped. it can be distracting to the driver with the light reflecting on the mirror from the back.

we down however have lights al down both sides on the exterior of our lorry.

bellgave

Visit site
Im really not sure. We never have the internal lights on at night, I would imagine its only for peoples benefit to do so, thinking that the horses would be happier with lights on, if you get what I mean!! Legally, Im not sure.

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
OKKKK!!!

I have just rung VOSA, 1, because it sounded absurd that you have to travel a horse with lights on (and i rarely do because they like to dose) and 2, because I was ringing them for a work related matter!!

As I thought it is utter nonsense that you should have lights on for the horses!

AS FAR AS INTERIOR LIGHTS are concerned whether loaded or not with horses, you can either put them on or off, it really does not interest VOSA! They thought it was quite a giggle actually but it is your personal choice.

What the regulations DO refer to are the small side lights on the exterior of your vehicle ONLY which should be operational.

VOSA can be contacted on 0870 6060 440 and are extremely helpful.

dieseldog

Visit site
I did post about this a while ago and the concensus of opion was it doesn't matter either way as long as no white light is visible from the back of the lorry

Marquire

Visit site
That's really helpful but my next question is......

I don't have side lights on my lorry as it was first registered in 1986. I thought that you only need side lights if your lorry was registered after 1991. Am I wrong about this?

Marie

barkinghorse

Visit site
Ok, just to throw something else in, what about with a trailer?
I never have the interior light on as then you would have "white light" behind, but i see many people travelling in the dark with them on?

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
That's really helpful but my next question is......

I don't have side lights on my lorry as it was first registered in 1986. I thought that you only need side lights if your lorry was registered after 1991. Am I wrong about this?

Marie

[/ QUOTE ]

Amber side lights are only required on lorries built / registered after 1 Jan 1993. Amber reflectors are required for lorries pre that date.

marion95

Visit site
I don't have any interior lights in my lorry as I discovered the other day when I used it in the dark for the first time. Don't think it can be a legal requirement or it wouldn't have passed it's MOT would it? Or would they not pick up on that?

Patchwork

Visit site
Leaving the internal lights on (in a lorry or trailer) after dark can be a calming influence for some horses as they can't see other lights/car headlights flashing on and off around them as you drive.

smile.gif

not_with_it

Visit site
It probably would pass its MOT without interior lights. The reverse lights on my box dont work but according to my mechanic it isnt a legal requirement to have them working.
confused.gif

PaddyMonty

Visit site
The law only requires that NO white light is visible to the back of the vehicle and NO red light to the front.
So interior lights in a lorry is up to individual but interior trailer lights should be OFF.

MagicMelon

Visit site
No white light at the back? Well we have a big light on in our trailer. They come on with the car lights (although I could turn it off), never had any problems with the police over it and never even thought about it really.