Travelling horse without partition - legalities?

monkeybum13

Visit site
Does anyone know if there are any legalities regarding travelling horses without a breast/breeching bar in trailers?

One of our old ponies used to travel without a partition but we always made sure he had a full breast bar and a full breech bar but many other people travelling without partitions only use a full width breast bar, no breeching bar. It seems rather unsafe to me but are there any rules or regulations regarding this?

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
I don't think there are any rules as such... maybe about breastbar, as having it keeps the load (horse) of the towbar and on the axles, so the properly distributed weight comes in play here. But breachbar? No, there are several trailers that don't have any by design.

LouandBee

Visit site
Is the breech bar the one at the back? - if so my trailer doesn't have one..it has a ramp!

Not sure about the legalities but traveling without the partition makes the load very unstable but I know a few horses who prefer to travel this way. I would always use a breast bar though whether its a legal requirement or not.

gill84

Visit site
Mine travels in the larger hunter without a partition coz she won't go past the pole in the middle of the partition and she's fine. She stands herself at an angle and seems happy and stable enough. A pony of mine got kicked by a stallion in a trailer and after that the only way he would travel was with a partition but the back end fastened across out his way. Not ideal but he lay down otherwise