Travelling loose - views please

vicm2509

Visit site
I am due to collect a 3.5t transit horsebox this weekend. I have had to get a 3.5t due to the restrictions on my driving licence and the fact I cannot afford £700 to take my 7.5t test.

Anyway, my horse is 16.3 and I have not tried him in the box yet as its too far away ( I have been told it will fit 2 x 15.2's in as it has no storage or living apart from the luton). Is is possible that he may have to travel in it loose, or we could alter the partitions so they are forward facing or very very herringbone (at the biggest possible slant).

So what are your views on travelling loose? Anyone do it and is it safe?

My horse is a good traveller, he loads well and just stands there on the journey not looking to bothered, but he has only been travelled herringbone since ive had him.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I would try and alter the partitions so that he is able to travel in herringbone fashion. I certainly wouldn't travel him loose.

vicm2509

Visit site
I thought as much, im sure it will be quite easy to change the partitions, i know someone who is a welder. I just remember reading something about traveling loose on here a while ago and quite a few people seemed to do it.

Anyway, here is a picture of the inside, I know its not the nicest of boxes but if it gets us from a to b im happy
smile.gif

Its 10ft long and 6.5ft wide (thats the inside horse compartment measurements).

0e_1.jpg

34_1.jpg

Iestyn

Visit site
It's actually illegal (I think) unless it's a foal travelling with the mare (tied up). I may be wrong - or is it travelling 2 horses loose and 1 is fine? You'd have to check and also with yr insurance company just in case something happened and they decided to use it as a "get out clause". There are plenty of 3.5t on the market that will travel 16'2's both newer versions and older.

vanessahook

Visit site
The only time i have traveled anything loose was when i had a yearling that had never been tied up or travelled before. She came off the lorry after 6 hours fresh as a daisy and completely unfazed!! But travelling a horse like this all the time im not so sure about.

Clodagh

Visit site
Can I ask where you saw your lorry? One that looks just like it was sold by a friend of mine to a lady in Nottingham (I think, will check) a month or so ago. Could you pm me its rego??

OWLIE185

Visit site
The issue with travelling loose is that the horse can move around thus shifting it's weight in the vehicle. These verhicles are designed for a static load (non moving) and have narrower front and rear axels than a 7.5 ton commercial vehicle. Thus when going round corners and or braking this will effect its peformance and the vehicle may not respond as it should especially if your horse is moving at the time.

3.5 tons vehicles are fine for small ponies and sheep but once you put larger cobs or horses in them you are getting pretty close to or even beyond the limit of their peformance specifications.

Before you use this vehicle please check the floor and ramp both from the top and underside and check that the wood has not rotted by poking it with a small bladed screwdriver. You don't want your horse to fall through it.

Also check the weight of the vehicle on a weighbridge (large agricultural feed merchants will normally have one) with the horse and passengers on board to ensure it is under 3.5 tons.

Zebedee

Visit site
If you are going to re-partition the lorry you may be interested to know that if travelled loose horses tend to position themselves facing backwards at an angle of approximately 45 degrees.
We now herring bone our partitions to accomodate this, however as all ours are good travellers no matter what type of vehicle I can't actually vouch for any difference it mighyt or might not make!

parsley

Visit site
My lorry is a bit too narrow to accomodate my 16.2 comfortably so I have moved the partitions to a more extreme angle so he is rear facing herringbone, which seems to work well. I am sure you have but make sure that it doesn't travel 2 15.2s because of the amount of head room!

Aleka81

Visit site
Hi Owlie
You didn't reply to my last post on a similar thread before. Not all 3.5 tons are overweight with one 16.2 horse. Mine has been on a weigh bridge and is absolutely fine. I know you are just trying to make people aware however please don't tar all 3.5 ton lorries with the same brush.
If they have been correctly converted to a horse lorry then safety shoud not be too much of a problem.
I think you may frighten the original poster as she has already purchased the lorry.

Aleka81

Visit site
NOT ALL OF THEM ARE THE SAME!!
Not all of us have the luxury of taking the tests. I agree travelling the horse loose would not be wise.
But they are not all horrendous.

vicm2509

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I have checked the headroom (which is 7.5foot). This little lorry has been loaded with 2 x 15.2 cobs and was within the weight restrictions so im sure it wont be overweight with my boy in however we do have a weighbridge near us and I will check it before we go anywhere.

Following the replies I will change the box to herringbone as I only ever plan to carry my horse in it so dont need room for 2.

And dont worry I am taking my dad with me to pick it up so he can give it a good look over and will get it checked out by a horsebox mechanic before I use it.

Aleka81

Visit site
Sorry to shout JM7 but I get really p***ed off with people saying this.
Not all transit 3.5 tons are awful as you put it. I just think people have there opinions set on the 3.5 ton lorries and in my experience it is not usually a fair opinion.

parsley

Visit site
I am sure it will be fine then. If you use a rear herringbone with one horse you will still get a bit of room in front, which is nice to store some tack! Good luck and enjoy having transport!
smile.gif

vicm2509

Visit site
If I could afford a 7.5t and to take my test I would get one. Unfortunatly my finances are limited and as I only plan to go to local shows and it is quite flat where I live a 3.5t should be ok with a little modification. I know a few people who could do it, one of which is a welder my trade so it shouldnt be too much trouble. And as my boy is quite still whilst traveling im hoping the 3.5t will suit him. If not I will just have to sell it on
smile.gif

Ferdinase514

Visit site
Are the partitions telescopic?

You might be able to move the exsisting one to a herringbone angle, or buy a larger partition for it.

I used to travel Finni in a 3.5 ton with out a partition and did tie him loosely. He tended to put himself on the left handside.

I think it's wise to experiment.

Be careful if you change it to forward facing partitions to ensure he has enough space to spread his legs

XX

vicm2509

Visit site
I dont think they are, TBH im not totally sure if they are already herringbone as the seller wasnt sure but I do know that given the internal dimentions I should be able to fit him in on a large herringbone angle or forward facing so im not too worried.

Sparklet

Visit site
If you change your partitions so he travels herringbone make sure you keep his rear end on the right so it is over the centre of the road when travelling. That part of him is heavier. If you change it to forward/backward facing make sure you have enough room to turn him round because I doubt it would be safe to unload him backwards because the ramp is too steep.

Theresa_F

Visit site
My horsebox was a 7.5 ton TK, but our old clydie is one long horse.

The partitions were great, but fixed. What I did was to have the fixed partitions changed to adjustable ones - this mean that I could travel him at an angle to give him the extra length he needed. All that was needed was to have the fittings changed and bars put along the sides with holes drilled in at various intervals to allow me to adjust them. Cost me about £150 to do this.

It did mean that my 3 horse box could only take him and one other or three normal horses, but that was fine.

He too likes to travel with his bum facing backwards at a 45 degree angle.

Sal_E

Visit site
When you say travel loose, do you mean without partitions or without tying up? Could you not remove the partitions & then x-tie him?

SummerStorm

Visit site
I've got a 3.5T Transit horsebox and to be honest, you'll be really, really pushed to fit anything over 15.2 in it sensibly...

Trailers and a 4x4 would be more sensible, to be honest, sorry
frown.gif

foraday

Visit site
It is not illegal to travel a horse loose.

You are doing the right thing by taking to a weighbridge and taking someone knowledgeable about lorries to go with you.

The partitions that are in there already on the photos looks like herringbone (??) but they are solid partitions! When you change the partitions you will need to make the 3/4 ones with rubber at the bottom so the horse can spread the feet out under the partitions.

Otherwise make it forward facing and as you say you will only transport one horse it will be quite easy to get the partition to move to turn your horse around.

Good luck and enjoy your very own transport!