Travelling question

Identityincrisis

Visit site
So I will be moving my horse to a new yard in the next couple of months. We have to cross the river Tyne to get there, there is the Tyne Tunnel that goes under the river, I won't be using this as I'd just rather go the 'long way' and use bridges, but my Dad has often asked me if we could take him through the Tunnel if needed? Trailer rather than lorry FWIW. I said I would ask the gurus of HHO!

Identityincrisis

Visit site
Lol it's just all the fumes, they always to advise you to close your windows :confused: I personally don't want to with this one as he can be a dodgy traveller so until he gets more confident I'd rather not

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
The horse is in a trailer so it matters not if you go through a tunnel or over a bridge. I could understand if you were hacking along a route that had those obstacles but it matters little when traveling.

Northern Hare

Visit site
I've towed my horse in a rice style trailer through the Dartford tunnel and over the bridge, not had a problem.

Me too - it’s not a problem at all, just make sure you take your time and allow plenty of space for safe stopping in case the traffic stops unexpectedly.

On one occasion we we going south in the Dartford Crossing as the bridge had been closed for roadworks and there was then a bad accident on the motorway ahead, so we ground to a halt whilst they closed the motorway for an hour! At least everyone turned off their engines.

When you go via the Tyne Tunnel, you just have to make sure you’ve got the correct change (looks like its £3.40 for 3+ axles!) - the last time I went through it (last year) you still had to have the correct change - amazing they don’t take cards considering it had a major refurb relatively recently! I feel sorry for people travelling from the Tyne ferry port and who get caught out as they naturally expect the toll booths to take cards. Sorry, I appreciate that’s not related to your question!

Identityincrisis

Visit site
When you go via the Tyne Tunnel, you just have to make sure you’ve got the correct change (looks like its £3.40 for 3+ axles!) - the last time I went through it (last year) you still had to have the correct change - amazing they don’t take cards considering it had a major refurb relatively recently! I feel sorry for people travelling from the Tyne ferry port and who get caught out as they naturally expect the toll booths to take cards. Sorry, I appreciate that’s not related to your question!

We're a bit slow on the uptake Up North! :D They issue change now, but only on some booths!

ezililaur

Visit site
Funny this should come up as I'm currently discussing with friends about towing over the QE2 bridge into Kent and back through the tunnel. Ive got no issues towing anywhere but the thought of that bridge and that tunnel scare the hell out of me. Completely irrational but I'm glad it's not just me!

Alibear

Visit site
Funny this should come up as I'm currently discussing with friends about towing over the QE2 bridge into Kent and back through the tunnel. Ive got no issues towing anywhere but the thought of that bridge and that tunnel scare the hell out of me. Completely irrational but I'm glad it's not just me!

I completely understand this, I was definitely more on edge and nervous but it was absolutely fine and the horses really didn't seem to give damn.