Travelling to Spain

HJN

New User
Visit site
I'm planning a competition travel to Spain at the end of February. Is there anyone here who would have travelled that time? Just worried about the weather, did you use winter tyres on your truck? Are snow/ice chains of any use for a longer trip?

Mule

Visit site
I'm planning a competition travel to Spain at the end of February. Is there anyone here who would have travelled that time? Just worried about the weather, did you use winter tyres on your truck? Are snow/ice chains of any use for a longer trip?
I don't think that would be necessary in Spain

Snoozy

Visit site
Driving across the Pyrenees in Feb? You’re brave! I’d say yes to winter tyres and I’d also carry snow chains (might actually be a legal requirement, not sure but worth checking).

HJN

New User
Visit site
Umm looking at my route I don't think I'll exactly go through the Pyrenees, it would be Bordeaux, San Sebastian, Salamanca. The weather forecast seems to be around +10° in February. Definitely will have snow chains just in case but winter tyres?

blackislegirl

Visit site
Last year in March we were caught in heavy snow between Valldoliid and Bilbao. That motorway would be part of the route from San Sebastian to Salamanca. You have to cross through mountainous terrain to get south of Bilbao. The good news is that Spain seemed well prepared, had lots of snowploughs positioned in advance of the worst overnight snowfall, and had the motorways open one lane in each direction at 8.30am the next morning. It was an anxious night though. We stopped at a hotel on the south side of the mountains and I wasn't at all sure we'd make the ferry port at Bilbao in time.