travelling with lorry windows open

Fun Times

Visit site
Following on from the thread regarding travelling wih a trailer front door open (and please lets not re-open that can of worms)! Am just wondering how many people travel with their lorry windows open? My truck has three win dows down the "head" side which slide down to open, leaving a gap of about four inches by six inches. They have metal bars over them but there are gaps between the bars of about 1.5inches. Then there are three windows "bum" side which slide horizontally to create a smaller gap but wihout any bars on them. In summer I open all six else horse gets hot. Now worried that this may create a risk as it is theoretically possible for something to get in between the gaps. Do other people put mesh over? Do other people not open them? I fear my horse would cook if I didnt open them. Oh lordy, everytime I come on here I find something new to worry about.....

Elsiecat

Visit site
My big grievance with trailer doors is that cars on the motorway etc ahead can flick up stones or something and it hit the horse. I don't think this is physically near as likely (or really that possible) with high side windows on a lorry. Or at least I hope?
I always travel with lorry windows open and have never considered it? Would be interested to hear other's views.

_GG_

Visit site
Following on from the thread regarding travelling wih a trailer front door open (and please lets not re-open that can of worms)! Am just wondering how many people travel with their lorry windows open? My truck has three win dows down the "head" side which slide down to open, leaving a gap of about four inches by six inches. They have metal bars over them but there are gaps between the bars of about 1.5inches. Then there are three windows "bum" side which slide horizontally to create a smaller gap but wihout any bars on them. In summer I open all six else horse gets hot. Now worried that this may create a risk as it is theoretically possible for something to get in between the gaps. Do other people put mesh over? Do other people not open them? I fear my horse would cook if I didnt open them. Oh lordy, everytime I come on here I find something new to worry about.....

I think it's at a totally different risk level myself.

soulfull

Visit site
current lorry has a push up vent in the roof not windows (huge window into living area)

But in the past I've had lorries with window and always left them open. To me the risk of horse seriously over heating out weighs odds of any other problems

Fun Times

Visit site
I think it's at a totally different risk level myself.
Yes, sorry I wasn't making a direct comparison with the other situation as I agree with you that its totally different. But just wanted to check that I havent missed something obvious, obliviously driving round with windows open whilst rest of world has realised its a big no-no.

Tobiano

Visit site
always leave my lorry windows and roof vent open. Also leave the top of the back (human sized) door open even though my horse's head is about 3 feet behind it in the lorry. Had a horse get dreadfully overheated after a half hour journey in my last lorry (sweat running off him in rivers) so been paranoid ever since. Hot horse was fine though!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Always leave the windows open, the horse is not able to cope with stale damp air, and their lungs are easily compromised when travelling as they cannot lower their heads to drain their sinuses.
I have one horse with 3 windows at the front and 3 at the back. All open. I hate it with windows either just the the horse's heads or tails (herringbone) as this creates a horrid boom noise.
I even have all windows open in the worst of winter weather, but have more rugs on. Horse lungs are not meant to cope with horrid stale air when tied high up.

PolarSkye

Visit site
We always travel with the windows open - on either side of where he travels to minimize risk of something flying up and hitting him in the face . . .

P

NZJenny

Visit site
I have always has a fine wire mesh over windows, both in my truck and now in my float (trailer). The window in the float is at the aback, and I've never had an issue. It would be too hot if was left closed on all but the coldest days I think and that was one of the reasons I had it put in.