travelling with out a partition

Louby

Visit site
We tried this as my mare travelled terrible in my new trailer. It made a massive difference, I never put it back and unless I knew the horse travelled well with a partition, I wouldnt use one. The single replacement bars are reasonable too.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I always travel without a partition unless it's a yearling which is tied as they seem to appreciate a boundary.

But please, ALWAYS cross tie, never travel without a partition unless they are tied either side otherwise they could do what a boss's horse did on the way back from hunting, turn the neck to look behind as going round a corner, horse lost his balance, driver felt a 'twitch' of the trailer but when he looked everything ok. Wasn't until the next morning, horse was very stiff, eventually found he had broken 3 vertebrae midway of neck through that jink in the trailer and he had to be put down.

ihatework

Visit site
Always do this (unless I am travelling 2, but that is rare).
No real reason other than that I travel large horse in a 505 an it gives more room, plus it is less fiddley at the other end not having to fuss around with the partition.
I have never had a problem travelling minus partition and most horses seem to travel better this way from my experience.

claire1976

Visit site
Its often recommended with youngsters to do this in order to encourage them to go in as there is more space. IMO its fine either way - with or w/out but if you take the partition out in my trailer there is no breast bar and I wouldn't travel any horse without that. Mine is a really old trailer though and new ones are probably better designed than mine!

SSM

Visit site
Can I sound really stupid - cross tie - is that tying up on both sides of the trailer, and how tight? (think the Donkey might travel better if she had a bit more space)

TGM

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
But please, ALWAYS cross tie, never travel without a partition unless they are tied either side otherwise they could do what a boss's horse did on the way back from hunting, turn the neck to look behind as going round a corner, horse lost his balance, driver felt a 'twitch' of the trailer but when he looked everything ok. Wasn't until the next morning, horse was very stiff, eventually found he had broken 3 vertebrae midway of neck through that jink in the trailer and he had to be put down.

[/ QUOTE ] Is this just a trailer only problem or would this apply travelling in a lorry without a partition. My mare doesn't travel too well with a partition in the lorry so we are going to try her without one, but I want to make sure we do it safely
crazy.gif

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Don't be daft, you're not stupid at all, just me being so used to saying it I didn't explain it very well!
frown.gif
blush.gif

Yep, cross tying or pillar reins (in the old days!) is tied up from both sides. It should be short enough that they can't turn to look behind them but long enough that they can move head sideways and up and down for balancing and reach net if used. I always use the side slots on the headcollar rather than the back ring too as more positive. I now have two leadropes permenantly in the trailer at the right length so only need to unclip the leadrein when they're in, saves a lot of messing and swearing if they fidget!
grin.gif
shocked.gif

MagicMelon

Visit site
I dont anymore but I did with one pony I had. He started going down in the trailer and thrashing about until I let him out. It got too dangerous to travel with him so something had to change. I simply moved the back section of the partition over so he could spread his hind legs right out. Solved the problem! Or if I wanted to travel 2 horses then Id remove the parition completely (had to have a full length breast bar made) and they always travelled fine like this - obviously well booted in case they trod on each other but never had any problems.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
[ QUOTE ]
Is this just a trailer only problem or would this apply travelling in a lorry without a partition. My mare doesn't travel too well with a partition in the lorry so we are going to try her without one, but I want to make sure we do it safely
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Pass! Never had to do that but I would think the principle is the same wouldn't you? With a partition there is only so much leeway they have to turn heads but without, they could do exactly as poor Jimmy did and suffer an injury. Of course, if it was safe enough and with enough room that she can turn safely, you could always leave her untied altogether so that she could find her her position and balance, (they usually face backwards if they have a choice). If it was a foal we would take the headcollar off, just in case, think it would depend on how uptight your mare is when she travels whether you should leave hers on (if it's nylon, I'd definitely take it off, leather not so bad) Be interesting to know if she improves without the partition.

lizzie_liz

Visit site
We have removed the partition in our trailer as sisters horse would get the partition down and not stand that well, but since its removed both of our horses travel so much better, but it does mean that we can't take them together but we do different things, so not a problem!

derricks

Visit site
HI

It used to take us ages to load my mare into the lorry until a frind suggested taking out all of the partitions and travelling her with loads of room, she now loads like a dream and has the whole of the lorry can move her legs and shift her weight as she needs to, has made a great difference.
Also great at competitons its like a mobile stable.

TGM

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It used to take us ages to load my mare into the lorry until a frind suggested taking out all of the partitions and travelling her with loads of room

[/ QUOTE ] Do you tie her in the lorry or do you let her travel loose? Want to try the same idea myself but not sure whether to tie up or not.

vicm2509

Visit site
I asked the question about travelling in a lorry without a partition a while ago and was told not to do it as it was illegal, how true this is I dont know.

I suppose it would be ok to do this if you had a forward facing with a breast bar perhaps?

TGM

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I asked the question about travelling in a lorry without a partition a while ago and was told not to do it as it was illegal, how true this is I dont know.

[/ QUOTE ] Not heard that one before
confused.gif
If it is true, wonder whether it just applies when there is more than one horse in the lorry.

Ashf

www.stencilbum.co.uk
I'd not do it, 1/2 tonne+ of horse with a high centre of gravity shifting its weight around in a trailer is well iffy especially on a cambered road - this is the reason why you are always told to travel on the right if only 1 horse in there.

There are many reason I can think of against doing it, but not that many reasons for.

Sorry
frown.gif

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Perhaps the reason why they were shifting their weight around was because they were unhappy, either with the partition, space allowed,footing or even the way they are being driven.
We always find if you give horses a good journey with plenty of warning for slowing down/cornering, then they very rarely move at all, they have planted themselves to their comfort and it's only when they are surprised, as in quick braking or going round roundabouts that you hear or feel them move their feet at all.
Think TGM is talking about a wagon anyway not a trailer else I would not have suggested loose at all.
Also think it is only illegal/frowned upon, to travel more then one horse loose at a time (mares and foals excepted of course) which is only sensible.

TGM

Visit site
Stencilbum - was that a reply to me or were you using quick reply
confused.gif
. I was talking about travelling without a partition in a lorry, not a trailer.

I think the main reason for travelling without a partition, whether in a trailer or a lorry, is because some horses travel much, much better if they can spread their legs to balance. I have heard of some horses who are just not safe to travel with the partition in.

TGM

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
We always find if you give horses a good journey with plenty of warning for slowing down/cornering, then they very rarely move at all, they have planted themselves to their comfort

[/ QUOTE ] Interesting you should say that - a friend of mine has CCTV in her lorry and travels her horse without a partition (but with the horse tied). Horse aligned himself across the lorry diagonally and didn't move position for the entire journey!

Nic

Visit site
The only way mine will travel in a trailer is without a partition.

He jams his bum in the back rhs & his nose on the front left. Gave up & got a lorry in the end as we have 2.

ETS: the trailer would shake like a leaf if we put him in with a partition as he would quite literally climb the wall
crazy.gif

Without partition you never felt the trailer move the entire tjourney. We always cross tied though.

Weezy

Visit site
I travel without a partition and we also travel 2 without a partition on short journies - however I think that is now illegal (travelling 2 with no partition) so will have to stop it
frown.gif