Travelling without a partition

fatponee

Visit site
Sorry if this seems a bit of a numpty question, but...
I'm going to try travelling my boy without a partition in our trailer as he's started having problems travelling. Anyway, I bought a full width breast bar and then suddenly thought, what do I do about the breech bar?

Do I need to buy another full width bar? Or do I travel him without anything behind him? Your help is appreciated!!!

Charlie007

Visit site
I will be getting my trailer a full width breach bar but in the mean time I am using a stall chain. Its the chain with the rubber in the middle. The reason I use it is that I take my boy out on my own and its just nice to have the chain incase he tries to back out whilst I'm doing the ramp!!

Pat10

Visit site
I used a bit of lunge line, with an extra clip. It worked fine. If you feel the need, you can always pull it through some pipe insulator tubing, so that it's softer and rounder, and less likely to burn if the horse does try to back out.

scrunchie

Visit site
Just be careful when getting out!!

We had a nightmare when we travelled my big mare without a partition and without anything behind her.

She's a big girl - 16hh and around 800 kilos - so she's a big girl to argue with. She's a nervous traveller and she refuses to load if there's a partition. I think she thinks that it's too narrow for her.

Anyway, it took us an hour to persuade her to get on. We wanted to build her confidence up so didn't rush her or force her in. She got on eventually.

The journey went smoothly. I got out the car feeling pleased with myself, thinking that we may have finally conquered her fear of travelling.

Hubby opened the back, I got in through the jockey door and untied her. But then I found that I couldn't undo the barrier at the front. It was too stiff for my girly hands (our first time out in a 2nd hand trailer - we'd never really looked at the barrier) so, not wanting to prolong my girl's experience in the trailer, I ducked underneath.

The split second I did that, and my attention diverted, my big girl spotted that the ramp was down, snatched the rope out of my hands, spun sideways and got wedged in the opening. Cue lots of kicking and fuss. I didn't know what to do. My girl was getting more and more distressed but I couldn't get near her without putting myself in danger.

She managed to wriggle free after a 30 seconds or so (the longest 30 seconds in the world), and ended up sliding down the ramp on her back.

Complete nightmare. Luckily, she didn't have any injuries apart from a few scratches on her face and legs. She can't even look at the trailer now without trying to run away from it. It's going to take her a while to get over this.

Last edited:

andlaw

Visit site
Hi

Not sure where you are based or if this would help but I've got two full width breast bars for a Bateson Ascot that I was about to advertise to sell if you're interested?

I had the same problem, I had a 16.3hh IDxTB that had to travel without a partition. I tried with just a breast bar but it was too dangerous doing the ramp in case she came out backwards as I've heard so many horror stories of people being injured because the horse squashed them under the ramp.

Let me know if you're interested. I'm only selling them because we ended up buying a lorry and I didn't sell them with the trailer.

Thanks
A