Travelling Yongster

Escada2004

Visit site
Looking to see how others travel their youngsters and what works/doesnt work.

My now 2yo homebred has only ever traveled with his mum a couple of times as a foal, in a trailer and 3.5t.

He has been at a stud since he was 4 months old and never traveled since. He is out 24/7 (in a barn or stable when bad in winter) with another 2yo and other horses in paddocks around him so has never been alone. He is a WB but has a pretty laid back temperament. he hasnt been handled loads but when i go to see him (he is an hour away so isnt that often) i can put a head collar on him in the field and he leads around. He has never been tied up before but good to be brushed, feet done etc so isnt completely unhandled.

Im due to move him to the livery yard my other horse is at in a couple of weeks so that i can look after him myself however im just not sure how i should travel him. I have a 7.5t with tack lockers in the horse area so wont be using that, i can borrow a friends 3.5t stallion box. Would you take the partition out and let him have the whole back? leave it in? travel him with a companion (can borrow a pony) or on his own? tie up or not? give a little sedaline?? I really dont know what to do for the best. Any advice is much appreciated :)

be positive

Visit site
I think it is such an individual thing that you either get no replies or you get a dozen all with a different view, you have the former!!

Personally I would probably go for the stallion box, tie up, take a sensible companion and a friend in case anything goes wrong, most youngsters that have been handled a bit will accept being tied up in this type of situation and as he is big it would be safer for everyone than being loose, I would not sedate just load and go with a good net in front to keep them occupied.

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
We move all sorts of horse all the time. If he does not tie up, I would recommend the stallion box. leave the partition in, a horse of that size and age may panic trying to turn round while on the road. We tube most of ours from yearlings upwards. I wouldn't bother with a companion either. But as be positive says it is personal choice.

TGM

Visit site
When we picked up our 2yo warmblood gelding he had never travelled before at all. We had a companion horse, travelled in a 7.5 horsebox (with no lockers in horse area) and we travelled him like a normal horse ie tied up with partitions in. He did the five hour journey very calmly with no problems at all. I think having a companion horse really helped him a lot.

Escada2004

Visit site
thanks all, its much appreciated to hear your personal experiences and what worked and didnt. I know all horses are different and if i had had him with me knowing him a little more i wouldnt be worried at all :)

Asha

Visit site
its a tricky one. If he does get a bit worried you would both be a bit safer in the 7.5t. Having a companion can work for some, but if they don't know them it may not. If I was In your shoes I would use a 3.5t stallion box . They are much easier to get them to load onto , and if he does move a bit there is nothing to jump onto. I've used a 3.5t to pick up all my youngsters