Treat Conundrum

Phoenix/Max

Visit site
This is a question for all the HHO's out there. I full loan a lovely 26 year old who is retired and I love dearly. Something came up recently that got me thinking on how his brain might work and the answer eludes me, so I though I would put it to you guys. He is very spoilt in my case and before I get shot down in flames, he gets lots of treats from me in the form of the Bailey's Fibre nuggets. I have tried various kinds of other treats for example apples, he does not like apples, has been know to leave apples in his bowl once finished his feed, even the expensive ones, doesn't think too kindly for carrots, bananas, and pears. Those are the normal horsey type treats. He will do anything for a parsnip though, he loves those, and watermelon but he makes a massive mess with it, don't give it to him too often. This is my conundrum, when other people give him an apple, carrots, pears even bananas he will eat them ( happy for them to do this). When I try he spits them out, lol. I am by no means worried about this, I just wondered why he would eat those things for others but not me. I am well aware he has me wrapped around his hoof, but he is also protective of me especially if I am in the field with his herd. I am very lucky to have him and I count my lucky stars everyday. :)

Cowpony

Visit site
Do you use hand cream or anything like that? Just wondering if he's tasting something on the fruit that has rubbed off your hands

Julie Ole Girl

Visit site
That's funny, as my mare gets all the above treats you mention but has been known to look at me and a carrot as 'like really?'..though when the local two little children who I allow in to visit them give her a carrot, she couldn't be happier. But I think they really prefer the nutty treats like Baileys or other nuggets. Or attention seeking?

Phoenix/Max

Visit site
I would agree with all of you. I will happily hold my hands up and say he is spoilt rotten and is very much a mummies boy, to the point of refusing to go out to his field with someone else, if I am there. If I'm not there he will happily come and go with other people. He will follow me anywhere if I asked him. A lot of the time he is not attached to the lead rope. I am very careful to not wear hand cream or even perfume around him, any thing with a scent, he has a tendency to become a bit of a dragon, he likes to blow into you and inhale again to take the smell in. I find it quiet funny where other people think he is being dominant.