Treating Rain Scald

CastleMouse

Visit site
Castle has some rain scald sort of on the side of his belly, slightly in the centre. It isn't too big of a patch, but how should it be treated? I'll gently pull out all the hairs, and leave a bald patch, but what product should I use on the bald patch? All help greatly appreciated!
smile.gif

miss_bird

Visit site
i would give a wash with mild hibiscrub, to get rid of the bacteria, then dry off area and cover on petrolum jelly to keep the rain would whilst healing. The scabs will start to come off on their own when you wash.
2 of my horses had it last year and this is all i done and i gave them another wash a week later and re-applied the jelly all cleared up.
Do remember not to cover with a rug whilst the horse has rainscald, as the warm, damp condition helps the bacteria to breed.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Are you sure it's not mudfever as it is that low down? One of the hunt horses ended up with balld legs/stomach when he hunt one particular area, if every trace of mud was not washed off.

annaellie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
i would give a wash with mild hibiscrub, to get rid of the bacteria, then dry off area and cover on petrolum jelly to keep the rain would whilst healing. The scabs will start to come off on their own when you wash.
2 of my horses had it last year and this is all i done and i gave them another wash a week later and re-applied the jelly all cleared up.
Do remember not to cover with a rug whilst the horse has rainscald, as the warm, damp condition helps the bacteria to breed.

[/ QUOTE ] That is exactly how i treat rain scald

Jay89

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] That is exactly how i treat rain scald

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep same here!!