Treating SI arthritis in human riders - options?

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
At the tender age of 55 I've just been diagnosed with SI arthritis. Apparently my only options are to 'modify my activity', see a physio (I already do) and possibly get steroid injections later down the line - but the caveat is only 60% patients respond to the injections and even then the effectiveness wears off which means having injections isn't a long term solution. So the prospects aren't great and I am in pain with everything I do (I had already modified my activity by not mucking out or lifting heavy things like water buckets etc). Unfortunately even after cutting out heavy lifting I still find the day to day life of handling the horses, cleaning them, rugging them, riding or looseschooling them - even just walking them to and from the field - is quite literally a pain in the butt! And that's on prescription painkillers (which are also not a long term solution apparently).

Are there any riders in the same position as me out there who know of any treatments that could help - especially long term? I already see a physio who works with me once a month for over an hour including laser therapy; I use a heated wheat bag in the morning because that's 'pre-painkiller' time and I'm also really stiff after lying in bed; I take collagen & fish oil; I do stretches & use a 'butt bungi'. Oh and I also use red light therapy on the joint and although I am heavier than I'd like I'm not obese or gaining weight (I'm a steady 11 stone on a 5'6" frame).

I would love to be able to ride at the heady heights of Novice level dressage again (which took me literally years to get to) but although the head and heart are willing the body is 'nahhhhhh'! So any advice would be very gratefully received.

scats

Visit site
I have SI joint dysfunction with arthritic changes. I survive on 4-6 Zapain a day and Naproxen, plus 4-6 weekly chiro sessions.
I find it excruciating after a days dog grooming, though an anti-fatigue mat has helped a little bit. Some days it’s just too bad to contemplate riding, or I’ll get on and decide it’s a walk only day. But other days I can manage as normal.
Lying in bed is hard because I can’t turn over without lifting my bum up and ensuring I don’t twist my SI joint or I get a pain that honestly knocks me sick. So I wake up once to twice an hour to change positions, which has a knock on effect on my sleep. Same with getting in the car, I have to lift my bum up and move around and not twist in.

P.forpony

Visit site
Not specifically SI but im riddled with arthritis in general, hands, feet, knees, elbows etc.
Had to stop riding out in my mid 20s because my hands got so bad I couldn't hold anything the moment it got strong.
Unfortunately I don't have a specific diagnosis because my age and blood work results don't fall into a nice neat category so docs won't treat what they can't identify.
The only thing that has made a significant difference to me is meat!
I went veggie (incredibly reluctantly and with massive scepticism!) nearly 18 months ago and since then only had 3 flare ups all of which have been less painful and lasted a shorter period than before.

HeresHoping

Visit site
I recently joined a menopause FB group called Hit Play Not Pause. It's frequented by a lot of hardcore athletes, many of whom have found their extraneous efforts of youth have caught up on them, and the menopause b*tch has compounded the issue.

I get significant pains in various joints, including my SI. I haven't been diagnosed with arthritis there, although it's probably only a matter of time. However, I got all excited because the hardcore women were raving about cherry tarts before bed and how it has decreased inflammation and increased sleep. I was in awe of how they could eat such things every night and not get fat, and surely the sugar was an inflammation contributor.

The boyf pointed out it was tart cherry they were consuming. And apparently it has raving reviews. Difference in about 2 weeks. Worth a try?

Batgirl

Visit site
I have an unstable SI, I have found a pelvic belt a HUGE help at reducing flare ups. Serolla belt will be about £30. I have 2, a yard one and a hiking one.

Long term it's like any other joint, the more you can strengthen surrounding structures the better.

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
I recently joined a menopause FB group called Hit Play Not Pause. It's frequented by a lot of hardcore athletes, many of whom have found their extraneous efforts of youth have caught up on them, and the menopause b*tch has compounded the issue.

I get significant pains in various joints, including my SI. I haven't been diagnosed with arthritis there, although it's probably only a matter of time. However, I got all excited because the hardcore women were raving about cherry tarts before bed and how it has decreased inflammation and increased sleep. I was in awe of how they could eat such things every night and not get fat, and surely the sugar was an inflammation contributor.

The boyf pointed out it was tart cherry they were consuming. And apparently it has raving reviews. Difference in about 2 weeks. Worth a try?

I got really excited by the thought of eating cherry tarts there! Lol!!

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
I have an unstable SI, I have found a pelvic belt a HUGE help at reducing flare ups. Serolla belt will be about £30. I have 2, a yard one and a hiking one.

Long term it's like any other joint, the more you can strengthen surrounding structures the better.

Thank you I will investigate this one (along with tart cherry).

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
I have SI joint dysfunction with arthritic changes. I survive on 4-6 Zapain a day and Naproxen, plus 4-6 weekly chiro sessions.
I find it excruciating after a days dog grooming, though an anti-fatigue mat has helped a little bit. Some days it’s just too bad to contemplate riding, or I’ll get on and decide it’s a walk only day. But other days I can manage as normal.
Lying in bed is hard because I can’t turn over without lifting my bum up and ensuring I don’t twist my SI joint or I get a pain that honestly knocks me sick. So I wake up once to twice an hour to change positions, which has a knock on effect on my sleep. Same with getting in the car, I have to lift my bum up and move around and not twist in.

I can sympathise hugely as this is like me. The not being able to face riding days and then the sudden sharp pains so I have to REALLY careful with moving. I am on 600mg Lodine a day with Zapain as a back up only at the moment. Chiro was too painful so I had to give it up on that route - but the physio helps enormously.