TREC people

Jellicle

Visit site
My friend and I have just signed up for our first TREC competition on August 18th. Just wondered if anyone can answer some questions.

We are doing it as a pair. I know that if there is an obstacle that we don't want to do, we can skip it. My question is, can one of us skip it and the other one of the pair do the obstacle, or do we have to do it or skip it as a pair?

Second, any tips for getting your horse to walk faster? He is good at cantering slowly, but not walking fast! Is it just practice?

Bounty

www.freewebs.com
The obstacle bit you go round as individuals and can skip any bits you want, and then your individuals marks are combined to give your pair score.

Not overly qualified in advising you on how to get your horse to walk faster, we broke into a trot twice!
blush.gif

Though I would probably use my legs against his sides, one then the other, in time with his walk - i.e. slight bump with your right leg as his right hind is on the floor, bump with left as his left hind is on the floor. This will activate the legs so that he pushes off them with more impulsion, as if you 'bump' while the leg is in the air you won't have any affect.
Hope that makes sense
crazy.gif
, and have fun!!
grin.gif

fairhill

Visit site
When I did pairs le trec we did the orienteering bit together, but the other sections are done seperately, and they just add the scores together.

Just practice with the walking I'm afraid. Try alternating your leg aids to increase the length of the strides to cover more ground. And try not to break into trot!

Good luck!

TrecPeter

www.alwena.com
Hi Jellicle.

(I'm campaining to have a TREC board on one of these forums !)

You should at least both present yourselves to the obstacle via the white & red markers - if you bypass it completely you will be disqualified. It's OK if one of the pair does it, and the other doesn't as they should make an average out of the marks. (they do it like that in France)

Walking faster - yes, lot's of practice, especially when you are hacking out. Encourage the horse forwards with your seat & legs, but only light rein contact. My horse is awful to get him at a walk fast & I never get good marks on that bit, but he makes up for it on the other parts !
smile.gif