TREC - popular in the UK?

TrecPeter

www.alwena.com
Stuck over here in an obscure corner of France (weekends..), I wonder if TREC competitions are that popular in the UK. It appears this sport has only fairly recently been introduced over your side of the channel. It certainly is very popular in France, and during the spring/summer season the calendar is very full of TREC competitions.
Do you follow the same rules and judging methods as in France?
Do you organise competitions with Novice, Team & Individual classes with local, (1 day) regional & national meetings (2 days)?
Are there events in most parts of the UK?
Do you calculate you speeds and distances in miles or kms?
What length POR would you expect for a 2 day event?

We're lucky to have a range of 1100m high hills were we ride, so our horses are kept in trim on a weekly basis with plenty of demanding climbs. The great thing is that you rarely have to put a hoof on a tarmac road - horse heaven!

Sorry to go on a bit, but Trec can become an obsession
wink.gif

Tia

Visit site
I left England almost 2 years ago and Le Trec was just gaining a name for itself. I actually sold my XC horse to a lady who competes Le Trec - she and he love it!!

equibabe20

Visit site
hi,
i did my 1st one back on the 13th august. it was fantastic i can see why it can become an obsession. im not really too sure about the rules etc as its only my first time but if you go to http://www.bhs.org.uk/content/Evt-BHS-Trec.asp you can look at our rules. Do you have any tips on the PTV phase i put a post on here a while ago but no1 seems very interested in trec! PM me if you have any pls i'd love to find out more. Samxx

TrecPeter

www.alwena.com
Much fun they are, if you and your horse have the stamina.
The 2 day events normally include a 35-40km circuit at maintained speeds, not as high as Endurance, but up to 12kmph. That doesn't sound too fast, but it's pretty tiring when your trying to cope with the map reading, compass and correcting your speed against the time over 6-7 hours.
(The real test of stamina is in the evening when you make merry with the other competitors:)) )

The 1 day events are more compact and less demanding on your free time. The morning POR would be between 15-20km and the PTV takes place in the afternoon.

The nice thing about TREC is that it's not over in a matter of miniutes, so you have time to settle down with your horse to a good day's worth of riding.

Maybe it will become more popular gradually in the UK as more riders want to try something less traditional?

rrose

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Are you in the picture in your signature? Which one is you? I am nosy
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

o yes do tell, i like the chestnut with the blaze with the person with the cowboy hat!
tongue.gif

TrecPeter

www.alwena.com
Hi Sam,
My extra post crossed with yours..
Yes, they are great aren't they!
I could go on for ages about this - my favourite part is the POR actually, but I normally score quite well on the PTV.
Best practice for the PTV is to go riding outside as much as you can in all sorts of terrain. You need to stay as calm as you can on your horse and appear to go round the PTV in the most fluid, efficient and effortless fashion.
Easier said then done of course, so get as much practice as you can on the sort of obstacles you get on the PTV. eg. Manoeuvrability, Steep inclines and declines mounted and in hand, gates, gallop under low "branches"? (Branches basses in french), fording streams/water etc etc.

BTW, What sort of time errors did you get in your first POR?

Find out also a bit more on www.trec01.com.
It's a bit chaotic as a web site, but there's stacks of Trec compet. pictures. PS It is a french site.

Going to sleep now, as I have to work tomorrow!

TrecPeter

www.alwena.com
Ha ha - curious eh?
I'm the second from the left on my trusty horse James, but with my hands in a bad position!!
James' head is also on my "avatar" (where did that noun come from??)
The chap on the right (Jean-Noel) often acts as a judge for our local Trec compets, and he had organised the outing that day in the Beaujolais region. (very nice too :)) )

Signing off now..

pottamus

Visit site
I think Trec is becoming more popular but at the moment there is not a huge calendar of events...and I get the impression that some areas of the country don't have any events.
I am interested in doing one but am waiting until my riding club do a mini event in October as this will give me a good feel for how we get on before entering a real event! It appeals to me because of the endurance side and the good grounding it will give my horse on the PTV side of thngs.

clipclop

Visit site
Trec is popular down here, we have a local Trec group. Zebedee will hopefully spot this post and will be able to tell you more.

Cheers
C x
smile.gif

MagicMelon

Visit site
No, its not popular where I am (Scotland) that's for sure! I remember they were going to run one up here once but then it was cancelled. My nearest Trec is probably very far away which is a shame as Id love to try it.

JAK

Visit site
I keep meaning to investigate this further as I think MD & Cob Blob would love it - he loves being 'outside', has loads of stamina, is good at standing still & enjoys learning new & clever things!
laugh.gif

equibabe20

Visit site
thanks very much for the info, just wondering on the immobility part how do you get your horse to stay still??!! mine just walked off! I did quite well in the control of paces i got 51/60 which i was very happy about as my boy normaly doesnt do things in a controlled manner. I got pretty much full marks for most of the obstacles i attempted but some i just couldnt do! i didnt complete the POR as i fell off and my boy came down on top of me and ive broken my ankle and collar bone
frown.gif
very disappointing as it was brilliant fun! hopefully once im better i'll do some more and actually complete them this time!

TrecPeter

www.alwena.com
Sorry to hear you broke a couple of things Equibabe!
Hope your back in the saddle soon. Wish you a speedy recovery!
From what the posts are saying there seems there is some publicity work to be done on Trec in the UK - I'll have to get working on that... next week, as I'm busy at a casual event all weekend in Peyrieu.

Immobility - a lot of horses have troubles with that one unless they are really insensitive to what's going on around them.
I find it helps if you back slowly away from your horse to one side. Not in front were it would be a "confrontational" position for the horse, and not behind were he can't see you & gets worried your not there any more. As with most things with horses, practice helps. Practice mounting on the right as well, because there is 10sec time limit I think, as those secs get quickly eaten up when you're trying to be calm.

Got to go and visit a client now...

Gingernags

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

James' head is also on my "avatar" (where did that noun come from??)

[/ QUOTE ]

Is a nice shot that, I have similar one I use from my horse...

photos9310505020.jpg

She was having a bad hair day! (though 150 miles into a 200 mile ride, you have to forgive her that!)

I'd love to do some of the TREC competitions, I think I'd enjoy them with my mare. We also live on the edge of some decent hills and she's very good on that kind of terrain.

equibabe20

Visit site
thanks very much as soon as I'm able to i'll start practising that! yeah i think there does need some more publisicity about if i think once peope have had a go once they'll love it. it's such a friendly sport from what i saw on my first one.

Fairynuff

Visit site
Last year my oh was invited to compete with the idea that hed represent Italy. We dragged my 19 year old out of the mothballs, got him fit and off they went with me as groom. They brought home 7 cups, a gold medal, some dosh, a rug, a headcollar and lead rope!! They won or were second in all their classes with Tom being perfect in every phase-only difficulty was the gate but they picked up the lost points elsewhere. Toms immobility in the circle was always perfect as we sussed that if he stood facing the crowd he would be too busy looking at them and would stand like a statue
grin.gif
We only did the one season as Tom is getting on and to be honest the organization here is awful and the standard of riding and horse management is even worse-maybe thats why they did so well
blush.gif
.It is a great sport and the nice thing is, anyone with a fit horse can take part. Hope it takes off in GB. Mairi.
smile.gif